Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Plus and ZigBee light bulbs - fixed!

Echo Plus and ZigBee light bulbs - fixed!
« on: January 09, 2018, 10:09:23 am »
I have an Echo Plus and recently purchased about 25 ZigBee light bulbs to replace my standard lights.  The first 6 bulbs installed and set up easily, after that, problems started.  Seems I can only get 6 lights running on the Echo plus - any additional and it knocks off lights that were previously working. It's not the bulbs, if I remove (delete from Alexa app) any of the 6 working lights I can add any of the other lights - but never more than 6.  Does anyone know if the Plus has a limit of 6 ZigBee devices?  If so, this is a serious shortcoming of the built in hub in the plus.  Amazon should state the limit in the description to prevent customers from buying more than 6 bulbs.  (IF this limit is in place).  Hopefully I just received a bad Echo plus.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 12:16:12 pm by Thomastoo »

Re: Echo Plus and ZigBee light bulbs
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 12:36:08 pm »
are you setting up the bulbs in on location then moving them to another?  if not, give that a try. 

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 12:46:03 pm »
I did try that.  Tried same spot, different spot, resetting the bulb to factory settings, removing the bulb from the Alexa app, etc.  Same result with every combination, any 6 of the bulbs will work great, but not 7 or more.  I did read another user complaint where the echo folks told him there was a 6 bulb limit - but an update should be forthcoming that removes that limit.  I'm just curious to see if anyone else has gotten more than 6 ZigBee bulbs to work at once.  I purchased all these bulbs a few days ago when Amazon had the Sengled dimmable bulbs for less than $5 each.  Maybe it wasn't such a bargain . . .

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 03:22:25 pm »
never heard of the six bulb limit for the echo plus.  it would not be good if true since most homes would have more than six bulbs. 

what about your isp?  do they have a limit on wifi connections?

Re: Echo Plus and (more than 6) ZigBee light bulbs
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 11:30:23 am »
Well, it's confirmed.  I spoke with the light bulb manufacturer AND with Echo CSR's and it is a know issue about the 6 bulb ZigBee limit with the Echo Plus.  They assured me they are working on it and a firmware update will be forthcoming that will correct this issue.  When?  Good question, supposedly before the end of Jan.

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 01:16:50 pm »
It's fixed!  I received the updated firmware Feb 2nd.  Installed another 13 bulbs - no problem.  I really don't know what the limit is now but I know the limit of 6 is gone.