Echo & Alexa Forums

A few Minor Issues.

shastapoke

A few Minor Issues.
« on: January 26, 2016, 10:56:46 pm »
Setup.........This was not as easy as I thought it would be.  The orange light didn't come on after 5 secords so I held it longer the next time.  I was a little confused because I kept getting messages re my fire tv.  I guess that was set as the default device?  Weird!  It was not too bad after I got the Echo selected as the device.  I do have fire tv, though.

Multiple devices.  I looked for help on this, but it was related to using Echo to control lights, appliances, etc..  What I wanted to do was to put the Echo App on my smartphone as well as my tablet and also on my wife's smartphone and her tablet.    In the process, we discovered that we needed to setup a "household" group.  Up til now, we were not aware of this feature.  My wife already had her own Amazon account so it was easy to get it set up.  You have to tell Alexa to switch accounts to do separate stuff though--like for a shopping lists.  No where did it say you could have the Echo App on mulitple devices so I just did it and it seems to work fine from what I can determine so far.  My wife does the shopping so I add stuff to her shopping list. 

Calendars  We were already using a Google master calendar via Google.  We are old and have CRS so the calendar is really a necessity.  She uses her own calendar so we had to check the box for it in addition to the master calendar.  Now everything shows up and we can ask Alexa for the events.  I hope that Amazon adds reminders as well as events to the App and skills.  This is a pretty new feature offered by Google.  We actually bought our smartphones so that we could share a master calendar with phone calls only being secondary. :).

mike27oct

Re: A few Minor Issues.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 12:34:21 am »
A household account is not necessary to set Alexa app onto my iPhone/iPad as well as my wife's. At the time I set it up for her, the Prime account was only in my name (pre-household account) so all that was necessary was to put my AMZ password into app.  Same goes for Prime Videos, I just put my password in app on her iPad.  Music is different, only on my lPad/Kindle; not hers.  Household account can solve that issue when I get around to setting it up.  The Household account was way over due from Amazon; glad they finally did it.

shastapoke

Re: A few Minor Issues.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 07:49:25 pm »
<< The Household account was way over due from Amazon; glad they finally did it.>>

Right you are.  I think the family sharing thing was pretty late in coming, too.  We have been sharing stuff on Manage my devices for a long time even though my wife has her own Amazon account.  She has yet to put any music on, but she can share prime music now.