Echo & Alexa Forums

Extremely High Data Usage in standby.

Americotomas

Extremely High Data Usage in standby.
« on: January 06, 2018, 12:11:23 pm »
Is it possible that my Eco dot use an average of 30 GB of data in standby?
I got the Eco Dot on December 24 and connected it into our network, we used it for few days and than we went away for a week.
when we got back my wife got a note on here tablet from the provider that we had gone over our limit of data (270 GB).
I called the provider, on this case Rogers cable in Toronto and they told me that since the 24 of Dec. my usages jumped from 3 to 6 GB per day to 30+ GB per day. I thought that someone would be using my wifi but my password is very complex than I realized that I had connected my Eco Dot on the 24 of December.
At this point I disconnected it and would like to ask if anyone had this experience with the Eco Dot.
How could it use so much data when we where away? What does it do on standby?
Thanks
Americo

Offline kevb

Re: Extremely High Data Usage in standby.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 01:18:54 pm »
Try it again, if it continues, call support. It is possible the Echo got "stuck" trying to update, and just kept continuing to attempt the download. It has been reported here before. Good luck!

http://www.echotalk.org/index.php/topic,1266.msg7560.html#msg7560

Americotomas

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 05:35:16 pm »
Thank you.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 08:57:48 pm »
Unplug the Dot for a few days and get a before/after data reading to see if data streaming decreased to be sure Dot is culprit.  If you have metered internet, this could be why you got a warning.

Also, check to see if you have a guest network activated on your router without any password.  A neighbor did and got same sort of notice.  He figured out his next door neighbor had tapped into his unprotected guest network!!

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 06:07:18 am »
This seems to be a dead thread since 2018, however, in Feb 2023 I having this issue.

Last 2 months I went from far under using my 350GB limit to nearly not making a new 450GB limit.

I see all my echos (I have around 9) are using like 7GB per month (split as much UP as DOWN ???).  The Echo that has the hub (big round one is the biggest pig at almost 30GB for the month.

Why do much UP?  And Down?
 I'm barely making my 450GB by the 30th day so monitoring has been a constant job as I narrowed it down. 

Any recovering victims out there with possible solutions?