Echo & Alexa Forums

Local Traffic

cdnirene

Local Traffic
« on: January 04, 2018, 08:29:24 pm »
Since Alex only stores one destination in its app, I’ve been playing around on how to ask Alex for traffic times to other destinations. I’ve had mixed success. So far, this what I’ve tried:

- Alex, traffic (works for the destination set up in app)

- Alex, traffic to Main Street (works)

- Alexa, traffic to 444 Main Street (sometimes works, depending on the street name)

- Alexa, traffic to Smith Shopping Centre (sometimes works, depending on the name of the shopping centre)

- Alexa, traffic to Canadian Tire (works for closest store)

- Alexa traffic to Canadian Tire on Main Street (does not work - instead gives me travel time to my closest Canadian Tire)

asianrocker

Re: Local Traffic
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 02:27:56 am »
You're better off using command navigate. It works for me. Always pulling the nearest store but traffic time is off,  I believe, so are the directions, LOL..

Alexa in Canada

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 06:57:48 am »
You're better off using command navigate. It works for me. Always pulling the nearest store but traffic time is off,  I believe, so are the directions, LOL..

Can you please explain, command navigate?

asianrocker

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 10:08:03 am »
I just say navigate me to <place I want to go to>. Yap, the direction is messed up. It wants me to take a way longer route that does not make any sense, what the hell.

Oh ok, maybe not that messed up. I checked the zip code I put, it's the one near me, not my exact zipcode coz I'm weird like that. Makes sense. I almost put my real zipcode just to test accuracy but, NVM.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 10:31:00 am by asianrocker »

cdnirene

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 03:55:41 pm »
I’m using the Canadian app which can be a different experience than the U.S. app. The Canadian app is so new, I don’t think it has localization down pat.

I tried using the navigate command and I got the exact same results as the traffic commands I wrote about in my opening post.

One thing I like to do is to ask for traffic very late at night. It gives me a base line as far as time is concerned. For example, one regular destination I use takes a minimum of 9 minutes. So, if I ask during the day and the answer is 17 minutes, I know there is some snarling of traffic. It’s sometimes worthwhile to wait and delay driving.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 03:57:59 pm by cdnirene »