Echo & Alexa Forums

JASCO Smart Switch and the Echo

holydoc

JASCO Smart Switch and the Echo
« on: January 03, 2018, 11:18:46 pm »
I have the ADT Pulse security system which controls some items such as my JASCO Plug-in Wireless Smart Switch.  Using the Pulse app, I can turn this light on and off.  I have the ADT Pulse skill enabled in my echo so I can control those items through my Echo by saying items like:

"Alexa, tell ADT to shut off the lights."

Here is my conundrum.  I also have a few KASA TP-Link smart plugs that I also have connected to my Echo.  Currently all these TP-Link plugs that are connected to lights are "grouped" in my Echo App in a group named "All Lights".  This way I can say:

"Alexa, shut off All Lights"

The echo will then turn off all lights plugged into the TP-Link plugs.  However to shut off the lights connected to the Z-Wave plug, I have to give the ADT command.

Is there an easy way to "group" all lights, TP-Link and Z-Wave, plugs to one group call "All Lights" so that I do not have to give two commands to the Echo to switch off all the lights in my house?

GA

Re: JASCO Smart Switch and the Echo
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 10:49:31 am »
Not sure about grouping them all, but a routine would accomplish what you want by turning off all groups in sequence.

holydoc

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 07:58:21 pm »
Not sure about grouping them all, but a routine would accomplish what you want by turning off all groups in sequence.

GA,

Would it be possible for you to explain how to do it with a routine?  I am not familiar with them so do not even understand the concept. 

Thanks so much!

asianrocker

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 02:38:27 am »
Go to routine and in actions you can see smarthome, you can choose ALL devices you want to be turned off. Actually I don't know why you can't group the zwave device to the others.

holydoc

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 01:03:56 pm »
Go to routine and in actions you can see smarthome, you can choose ALL devices you want to be turned off. Actually I don't know why you can't group the zwave device to the others.

Asian,

I wish it was that easy.  Since I cannot see the z-wave connections directly, it makes it impossible to "select" them.

Anyone have any other ideas?

GA

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 02:56:52 pm »
I think I understand now what you are saying. You have the Jasco plugs controlled by the ADP Pulse. So, you turn these off and on, using the Pulse app. I think then, you will have to tell the Pulse App in the Routine, on echo, to turn off, which will turn off everything, the Pulse App, is controlling. If you want to select just the jasco switches, you may have to make that a separate group. I am thinking about getting some of these Jasco plugs for my shop I hope you get a good answer on this one. Good luck.

Offline kevb

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 06:50:12 pm »
ADT may need to update their skill to utilize routines. Maybe check with them to see if they are supported yet.

Offline kenf

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 05:01:25 pm »
Finally, somebody who's seen the same problem. I know the cause, but can't fix it.

The problem is that the ADT Pulse skill is a skill and not a Smart Home Skill.  The differentiation is critical.
Both Vivint (ADT's bloodsword enemy in the home security industry) and Samsung SmartThings have allegedly qualified as Smart Home Skills.

The proof is when you look at the examples to call Alexa.

Simple Skills, you have to invoke the provider (in this case ADT).    Thus, "Alexa, ask ADT to turn off the bedroom light"

You'll note that Vivint's skill and SmartThings, you can say, "Alexa, turn off the bedroom light"

This is because as properly registered and Smart Home spec compliant, all the z-wave devices the hubs have are then exposed directly to Alexa as smart home devices.  Your proof is when you're in the Alexa app and click on the Smart Home and tell it to Discover and it doesn't find any of those switches.

ADT didn't/can't do that.

That's why you can't issue direct voice commands to your lights or switches and why Routines can't target them either.

Personally, I've tried to reach ADT about this.  No luck.  I'll probably have to buy a SmartThings hub and switch over to that and lose the automation from security events to the rest of my z-wave equipment.

Offline kenf

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 05:50:25 pm »
I'm back with a spend money solution after googling the heck out of this.

Buy a Smart Things 2 hub
Join it to your ADT hub's z-wave network like this link has people saying:
https://community.smartthings.com/t/adt-pulse-help/77538/14
basically it will seem to fail, but assign a NodeID
Then on the Smart Things, scan for Devices
this will pick up all the things in the ADT Hub.
Then in Alexa, scan for Smart Home Devices
https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/205275404-How-to-connect-Amazon-Alexa-with-SmartThings
this turns all that z-wave stuff into things Alexa can address directly in commands or Routines

You will be able to use the ADT app or to SmartThings app or Alexa to command your z-wave devices.
ADT events using ADT's IFTT in their interface will run and make stuff happen on alarm events
The SmartThings hub will has as a translation layer so all your z-wave devices are directly recognizable to Alexa

Costs money ($100) but solves the problem while keeping you in your ADT contract.  Later, you can ditch ADT and connect the alarm stuff directly to SmartThings and a cheaper monitoring service.

holydoc

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 10:56:53 pm »
Kenf,

Good find!  However I was hoping not to have to purchase another hub just to access the couple of plugs I have from ADT.  Currently that does not make financial sense.  Would be better for me to purchase a couple $24 plugs to just replace the ADT ones.  Now if I had ADT cameras, maybe.

Offline kenf

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 11:49:56 am »
Kenf,

Good find!  However I was hoping not to have to purchase another hub just to access the couple of plugs I have from ADT.  Currently that does not make financial sense.  Would be better for me to purchase a couple $24 plugs to just replace the ADT ones.  Now if I had ADT cameras, maybe.

In my case, I've got 12+ GE z-wave switches and outlets wired up.  So I ordered the ST hub2 from Amazon ($84 now). ADT is never going to upgrade their software to compete (I suspect that's why they have a new ST bundle for DIY).  Once I finish my ADT contract (in a few years), I'll rip their crap out and wire their sensors to the ST somehow.

My whole house has each room on a smart switch light, door locks, Alexa in every room at this point.  The goal was to have Alexa handle easier commands and had I known ADT's hub was stupid, I'd have done that part different.  Not happy to spend more money either, but the goal is in reach and is compatible with firing ADT later.