Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo plus / dot

Accidental42

Echo plus / dot
« on: January 02, 2018, 11:17:52 pm »
I received an echo plus for Christmas and love it. I have connected several lights and plugs. Today I received two echo dots. I went through the setup process and connected them to my Wi-Fi. However the dots will not control any of the lights or plugs I have set up. I have tried discovering with no luck. Any suggestions on how to get the dots to link to what the plus already does? Or is this yet another American feature that is not available in Canada.

Alexa in Canada

Re: Echo plus / dot
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 06:55:48 am »
I don't have experience with adding a Dot to the Echo, but since they are sold in Canada, I would expect it to work, at least somewhat.  We have definitely learned that setup can be tricky and it will have a lot to do with registering your devices to your Amazon account and carefully following the steps to install them and then link them to your Alexa app so that they all start working together. 

Here is the basic instructions from Amazon about how to set up a Dot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201994280

I suggest doing a reset first for both first them and then following the steps including the critical steps of having them linked to your Alexa App.

Get one working before you attempt to set up the second one.

Let us know how you make out, I'm sure others will chime in with more experience.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 06:57:59 am by Alexa in Canada »

Accidental42

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 10:31:18 pm »
So I did a reset of the dots. However I still have the same issue. I can only control the smart lights / plugs from the echo plus or my phone. The dots will add items to my shopping list but that is about it. There has to be a simpler way to link them all together. I just want to be able to control all the lights and plugs using voice commands from either the plus or the dot.

asianrocker

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 09:19:33 am »
I think this is where the group and routine feature will be needed. You can choose device there right? See this thread:

http://www.echotalk.org/index.php/topic,3307.msg17628.html#msg17628

She is baffled her echo devices are showing up. In your case I think that is your solution.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 09:21:23 am by asianrocker »

Sportster2005

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 12:49:05 pm »
It's been a while since I set mine up. I found it fairly straightforward.  I can assure it does work, and is not a limitation of being a Canadian echo.

If I remember properly I just added the dot in the Alexa app in my phone. 

Alexa in Canada

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 11:18:50 am »
So I did a reset of the dots. However I still have the same issue. I can only control the smart lights / plugs from the echo plus or my phone. The dots will add items to my shopping list but that is about it. There has to be a simpler way to link them all together. I just want to be able to control all the lights and plugs using voice commands from either the plus or the dot.

Please confirm two important steps after you do a factory rest and add them to your Wifi.

1. Do you have the dots registered to the same Amazon account as your Echo.

2. Did you follow the add device steps in your Alexa App.

I believe if they are on your wifi and then Alexa can see them as linked devices, they should work

Accidental42

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 10:14:00 pm »
Fixed!

So after trying for a long time I have finally fixed my problem. Of course I am still not 100% sure what actually fixed it.

So a little more back story. When I bought both echo dots they both showed up in my Alexa app before I had even received them. This seemed a little strange to me. But this time to be sure I had a clean setup, I told both dots to de-register before resetting them. Not sure if that is what made the difference or if it was my next step. I realized that my wifi broadcasts on both 5g and 2.4g. My echo plus is right beside the router and is set to 5g. not sure what I had the dots on before but I made sure that this time they were both on 5g. Again, I am not sure if that would make a difference seeing how its the same network, just different bands.

Regardless, I am not able to control all my smart lights and plugs using voice commands on both the dots and the echo plus.

Thank you everyone for your help!