Echo & Alexa Forums

Routine or IFTTT to turn of TV on trigger

mtnman1000

Routine or IFTTT to turn of TV on trigger
« on: January 02, 2018, 02:58:57 pm »
I use IFTTT via my Echo to turn off my lights, set thermostat, lock doors and enable door sensors through a Wink hub but I also want my TV to turn off. I have a Logitec Harmony Hub which the Echo can directly control so if I say "turn off tv" that works fine. I cannot however seem to integrate turning off the TV vi IFTTT trigger or the Harmony skill.

Can anyone think of a way I can have my TV turn off when I say "Alexa, trigger good night" or some other way without having to do the IFTTT trigger phrase then another voice command just to turn off the TV?

Offline kevb

Re: Routine or IFTTT to turn of TV on trigger
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 03:34:45 pm »
Doesn't the Wink connect via a skill to Alexa? If so you could build a routine in the Alexa app to do this.

Drwoodr

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 07:02:59 pm »
I have 2 harmony hubs, and I find Yonomi easier to use than IFTTT. I don’t like the “trigger” command with IFTTT. I set up an “everything” routine in Yonomi, and I just say “Alexa, turn everything off”, and my tv and lights all go out.

mtnman1000

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 08:04:41 am »
Thanks for the replies. As far as a routine goes, that would work but Echo only shows Turn Off A/V which does not turn off the TV. I will look at Yonomi, looks cool and may be the ticket. Also, I just found Logitec has a hub extender adding z-wave so that might be an option as well.

Have a good one

asianrocker

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 10:31:48 am »
Or you can use sleep timer on your TV.  :-X Which actually made me test my Samsung tv remote with voice just now. It did set the sleep timer and it also cancels it. I have to push a button on remote though, ya I know, lame.

Well my Samsung voice remote is lame. When I cancelled the sleep timer it said it cancelled it but my TV did turn off 30 minutes later, LOL.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:01:28 am by asianrocker »

mtnman1000

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 11:23:52 am »
Good idea on the Samsung voice.

So I tried Yonomi, it's pretty slick but wouldn't allow me access to sensors or Wink shortcuts. In the end I was able to create a second IFTTT trigger using the same Alexa phrase "Alexa, trigger good night" to turn off harmony activity. Also set one up for Good Morning.

I thought I had tested the above solution before without success but now it seems to work.

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 03:11:40 pm »
if you cannot get your routines to work properly, you could always get a smart switch like wemo insite to turn the tv on/off