Echo & Alexa Forums

Can Alexa print the shopping list or to do list?

Julbock

Can Alexa print the shopping list or to do list?
« on: January 24, 2016, 03:40:19 pm »
Just wondering if she will be able to print

mike27oct

Re: Can Alexa print the shopping list or to do list?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 04:54:28 pm »
Alexa does not have a print function but WE can print these lists from our PC or phone or tablet.  Here's how:

Example:  have Alexa app open on your phone or tablet to either list and take a screen shot.  You should be able to print the screen shot.

Example 2:  Open the Alexa app on your computer at alexa.amazon.com and take a screen shot you can print.

Example 3:  Forget about printing all together, just bring your phone with you shopping (which most people do anyway), open Alex app in store either via Wi-Fi or your data plan, and just view the app shopping list while you shop.

patall

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 06:54:00 pm »
Use an IFTTT recipe that will send you an email every time you ask Alexa "what's on my shopping list"

runbadgerrun

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 11:29:11 am »
If you have an HP Printer you can set up web services and ePrint.  This will give you an email address for your printer.  Then set that up in IFTTT as the email address to send to.  This should print the list.

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 06:31:37 pm »
if using ifttt, give about 30 minutes to an hour.  I found sending my shopping list usually takes a lot of time when sending it to other devices.    So far the fastest has been with having it sent via text so I can see it on my smartwatch and it took almost 30.  I have tried many recipes. 

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 12:52:35 am »
Like I said, the easiest and fastest way is to look at your app on the phone while at store.  My wife has called from store to ask me if that's all we need.  Often, I have thought of something right after she leaves for the store, of course, so I just walk over to Echo and add it to Alexa's shopping list. When my wife gets home she tells me that such and such was not on the list before she left for store. Yea, instant shopping list update!  No printed list can do that.

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 05:22:36 am »
Like I said, the easiest and fastest way is to look at your app on the phone while at store.  My wife has called from store to ask me if that's all we need.  Often, I have thought of something right after she leaves for the store, of course, so I just walk over to Echo and add it to Alexa's shopping list. When my wife gets home she tells me that such and such was not on the list before she left for store. Yea, instant shopping list update!  No printed list can do that.

sounds so simple BUT...the problem is, a lot of grocery stores do not have wifi and cannot get a cell signal indoors.  The stores can be considered a faraday cage with all the metal shelving, cans, refrigerators etc... I also found I had trouble accessing the alexa app in my local walmart which has free wifi so I had to go shopping without the list several times until I got the smartwatch and had the list text to it.

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 03:41:59 pm »
Yes, got it. Just try to use Wi-Fi or cell in a gigantic Costco.  OK, so most of the time referring to Alexa app gets the job done. If not, a printed backup can be handy, and there are solutions posted here for that, too.

shastapoke

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 11:02:15 pm »
Great info here!  We just got our Echo last night and have started a shopping list.  Not sure about others, but we have to have wifi shut off on our smart phones for the data plan to kick in.  Make sure you have a security app when you use public wifi.

Snafs

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 04:13:14 pm »
Any updates on this.

The print a shopping list feature is such an obvious one.
I don't want to wander round the grocery store, like an idiot, with a trolley in one hand a £600? or whatever mobile phone in the other hand, whilst picking items off shelves and avoiding other customers.

Actually people who are shopping and looking at their mobile phones annoy the hell out of me ;)

Right now, I write my shopping list small on a post it note, and stick the note onto the middle of the bar of the trolley I'm using
Nothing to damage, both hands free etc.

Is there any new/recent changes that will allow you getting a shopping list off the echo and onto even a PC, not a screen shot.
So it can be printed? Without resorting to the IFTTT email, which will email every single time, and not work in the UK anyway.

Usabrits

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 02:11:15 pm »
Two thoughts on this topic - and we've only had Alexa two days, so sorry if we are not up to speed yet...

We have a wi-fi printer - would be great if she could connect with that and print from shopping list via verbal command but sounds like she doesn't and can only print via the laptop, not even via the phone.

Can she send the shopping list to "Notes" app on my iphone?  I don't mind wandering around a supermarket with my iphone but my shopping lists are compiled on Notes, and added to when out an about rather than only when around Alexa, so would be great if she could synch with existing items and lists on Notes.

mike27oct

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 02:17:46 pm »
"only when around Alexa"
As long as your phone is with you, you are always around Alexa -- via The App.

RayT

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 10:23:32 am »
You can print shopping list from your computer if you go to alexa.amazon.com and go to lists.  Print tab is at top right.  BUT, all I get when I print is a very faint image that cannot be read.

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 11:10:41 am »
You can print shopping list from your computer if you go to alexa.amazon.com and go to lists.  Print tab is at top right.  BUT, all I get when I print is a very faint image that cannot be read.
My printer prints out my list as well as my skills just fine.

briancol

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 05:38:27 pm »
Hi,

I had a similar problem with the Recipedia skill the other day but they send an e-mail to the address you use when you register with Recipedia whether you use your own e-mail address - in which case you can print the email - or direct to your printer if you use that address when you sign up.

Once you get the e-mail to your own e-mail address you can then copy, forward, print or cut and paste (or speak to your shopping list) to your hearts content.