Echo & Alexa Forums

Missing Features - Echo in Canada

canIndian

Missing Features - Echo in Canada
« on: January 08, 2018, 03:04:47 pm »
Hi All, I am new to Echo. Recently purchased the device and set it up. When I set up the device I was able to see the "Your Voice" and "Household profile features". Never realized that my default account set up was for the US. And the moment I changed it to Canada to get curated skills, I lost both the above functionalities from settings.

Makes me believe that Amazon has not enabled these features for Canada but being a noob, can some one confirm if indeed thats the case or I am doing something wrong. Apparently when I called alexa support they believed that I should be able to see this functionality however even couldn't resolve the issue.

Re: Missing Features - Echo in Canada
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 03:19:11 pm »
there are many things different /disabled  when you use a Canadian setup
losing access to many skills is the biggest thing most users complain about.

Laurel

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 06:02:42 pm »
I don't think .ca knows what .com is doing on Alexa and vice versa.  I have had my Alexa devices on Amazon.com since Echo first came out.  Recently I could stay on .com and set up my device with a Canadian address and get weather to my location i.e. Alexa what's the weather with her answering Weather in Douglas Canada is 5 C etc.  Then all of a sudden Alexa knew squat about my location. I wrote to .com and they told me I had registered my devices to .ca.  I said "no, I have never changed where they are registered which is .com, but I entered a Canadian address and was getting accurate weather reports for a week, and then it stopped abruptly".  But they insist that the only way I received Canadian weather was when my devices were registered to .ca.  I give up.  They are hopeless these days.  Reps try to be nice, but they are obviously all off shore and don't really know what is happening.

Alexa in Canada

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 07:13:52 pm »
I understand the concerns you have all mentioned. Please refer to the details that I posted in this other thread to help people trying to set up as a US device but use it in Canada.

http://www.echotalk.org/index.php/topic,3263.0.html

I agree that no one in Alexa support in US or Canada is able to provide this guidance so most of what they say is misleading or downright wrong.

This partly why some of us want to beef up this site since the support from Amazon will take a long time to catch up.