Echo & Alexa Forums

Heart Attack Siren...

Canada Bob

Heart Attack Siren...
« on: July 03, 2020, 07:47:37 am »
I work from home, well in a little woodwork shop and I'm often in there 8 to 10 hours a day.

My dad lives with us, he's in his 70's and has already had a heart attack, I'm worried about him having another and not being able to get my attention when I'm in my (noisy) workshop, trying to shout would only make things worse, even if he was able to shout.

I know there's the option of him asking Alexa to phone me, but when every second and every breath counts I'm looking for something that would immediately sound an siren / alarm that I would immediately hear, even if I was on the phone.

The the downside of relying on getting through to a phone in an Emergency is that the phone could be busy, as above every second counts. I've looked around to find an alarm but all I find is wake up alarms, so I'm not sure if there's an App that does this ?

I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction, I'm sure that a lot of folks who have an elderly relative living with them would appreciate an App able to call for help, something that with just a short command would set an alarm off.

Thanks,

Bob.

AlanH

Re: Heart Attack Siren...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 10:32:10 am »
Take a look at this - could be of use.
https://www.idealhome.co.uk/news/my-sos-family-personal-alarm-197249
Scroll down to the Alexa reference.
If you’re in the UK it might be worth taking a look at charities such as Age UK who can provide a range of monitoring/alerting devices for the elderly.

Canada Bob

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 11:04:39 am »
Hello Alan,

I'd looked at that SOS App, it's good but it relies getting a phone call through, if my phone was busy my dad wouldn't be able to get through and that could be disastrous, so what I was looking for was something that by speaking a short command to Alexa that a siren sort of thing would immediately sound, I'd hear that straight away even if I was on the phone, that's the sort of thing I'm looking for, I'm surprised that it doesn't seem to be out there already, asking "Alexa sound siren" or similar commands doesn't work.

Thanks for the reminder about Age Concern, we are back in the UK after many years in Canada, so I am aware of Age UK but they'd slipped my mind so I'll have a look what they have.

Bob.

GaryM

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 03:47:41 am »
What about setting up a wifi lightbulb in your workshop and then set up a routine for him with a command. Something like: "Alexa, get help."  Or even just "Help!"  Assuming his Echo device is on the same wifi network as yours?

Then the routine would switch your wifi bulb on.  You could even get a colour changing one so it comes on red.

That's the only thing I can think would work with the system at the moment.

Actually a routine set up for him could probably play an audible sound on your Echo device too...

Canada Bob

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 09:03:02 am »
Hello Gary,

THANKS for taking the time, yea, I like that idea, a light might be a better idea than a siren as when I'm working some of the machinery can be pretty loud and could mask a siren going off in the house. As they say, two {or more} heads are better than one, your suggestion is valued and appreciated, I'll look into setting that up...

Bob.

GaryM

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 09:29:45 am »
Hello Gary,

THANKS for taking the time, yea, I like that idea, a light might be a better idea than a siren as when I'm working some of the machinery can be pretty loud and could mask a siren going off in the house. As they say, two {or more} heads are better than one, your suggestion is valued and appreciated, I'll look into setting that up...

Bob.

No worries.

I actually tried it myself and it works :) If you're stuck setting up the routine I could try and give you instructions.