Echo & Alexa Forums

Broadlink RM Pro and Devices with Separate Buttons for ON/OFF

MACscr

Broadlink RM Pro and Devices with Separate Buttons for ON/OFF
« on: December 30, 2017, 03:03:26 am »
Ok, so I have a broadlink RM Pro and a Sonoff RF Bridge. They both integrate with Alexa through different apps. I also have a Smartthings hub if needed as well. Anyway, the problem is that my Etekcity RF outlets have a one button for On and Another for Off. I can't seem to figure out the proper way to get Alexa to work with any device for that matter that has different buttons for power. Seems it only works with devices that toggle power with a single button. Is my only option to use some sort of bridge that keeps track of the state? State isnt really a good idea though as there really is no way to know what state they are really in because maybe the sending ON the first time actually didnt work. Seems there should be a way for Alexa to use "on" for one button and "off" for another. I dont want to use any sort of hacks that make me use different words for instead of the standard language. As in, i want to be able to say "Alexa, turn bedroom lamp on", etc. Thoughts?

Note, my mobile devices are iOS and while i have an android device or two, i really do not want to run any type of always on android apps. I do have a linux media server that I could throw a script on if needed with an linux container. I do have Home Assistant installed, but not using it yet.

Re: Broadlink RM Pro and Devices with Separate Buttons for ON/OFF
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 09:01:20 am »
Your kidding right? I"m unfamilure with your modules but I have several RF modules that recieve a on signal which is differnt from the the off all are controlable with Alexa.
I say Alexa turn off device name and it goes off.
The RM Broadlink will learn code for on or off if the RF on is learnable so is the off.

DeeYoo

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 01:09:48 pm »
Hi,

I’ve got a Broadlink RM pro too and had a similar issue which I’m very grateful to a guy named Paul Hibbert on YouTube who explains how to use the Broadlink IHC app and the Routines in Alexa to set up key words to control separate commands.  You need to watch a couple of his videos all the way through but it’s worth it as it gives you a way to do so many other things.  Basically you set up any device and any command as a separate TV which Alexa can then discover and you can then assign a key word or phrase to invoke that routine.

https://youtu.be/Lg4HQhN5KXo

https://youtu.be/yaxIaPPRXt8

My big issue is  - and I’d really appreciate some help with - I want to insert a half a second pause into the routine between IR commands and I can’t see any way to do that in Alexa-land.

Any help welcome.

DeeYoo

Offline tthoben

• Greetings from sunny Singapore!
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 09:18:38 pm »
My big issue is  - and I’d really appreciate some help with - I want to insert a half a second pause into the routine between IR commands and I can’t see any way to do that in Alexa-land.

Any help welcome.

DeeYoo

Unless you explore beyond Alexa skills, you are unlikely to resolve your issue at least until they make improvements to the routines function.

I've not explored too far into such features but just to inform that apps like RM Plugin allow creation of macros which may be what you are looking for.

I am using the eControl app instead of IHC (and exporting codes via RM Plugin). You can create "scenes" which works like macros and you can insert pauses between actions which is what you are looking for. So what's left is finding out how to export such scenes or macros to Alexa.
Echo Dot @ SG