Echo & Alexa Forums

Yonomi can only turn TV on or off, not switch inputs

dingus

Yonomi can only turn TV on or off, not switch inputs
« on: December 29, 2017, 07:33:35 pm »
At least, unless I'm missing something.

Whenever I create a new routine for my Logitech Harmony Hub, the only available actions are Start Activity, End Activity, and Power Off. The Start and End Activity actions only give me two options: Turn on TV and Turn off TV.

I want to be able to say "Alexa, switch TV to HDMI 1", but there's no option in Yonomi to do that. On their website, it says you can do that, so I'm not sure what's up. I have checked all over the Yonomi app, and I can't find anything that lets me change channels or inputs or anything. I have Yonomi connected to the Logitech Harmony app, and I can use Yonomi to turn the TV on or off (I've tested it turning the Harmony skill off in the Alexa app), but that's all. I created 2 routines on the Harmony app that change to HDMI 1/2, and they work, but I have to say "Alexa, turn on switch TV to HDMI 1".

Has anyone seen this before or know what I'm doing wrong?

asianrocker

Re: Yonomi can only turn TV on or off, not switch inputs
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 07:54:50 pm »
The beauty of using routine is that you can name it however you want. Why can't you? NVM you are using the harmony routine don't know how that works.  :-X

Drwoodr

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 09:04:14 pm »
asianrocker is right, routines are the way to go, you don't need yonomi. In your case, you have a scene "switch TV to HDMI 1". (Just a thought, but you might consider making that easier, like name it for whatever device is connected to that input.) Just create a routine in the Alexa app and add that control scene as the action. Call it whatever you like. I have mine set up like "Watch Apple TV", and I even have some that open apps directly, like "Watch Netflix". Everything that works with the "turn on..." command I added as "watch...", I find that more natural to say. Only issue is that the Alexa routines sometimes have issues with some abbreviations and numbers. It doesn't like "Watch PBS Kids" because of the PBS. so I have it "Watch Kids Shows". And numbers I had to spell out, like "Watch Channel Ten", but once it was set up, it works like a charm.

dingus

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 03:13:37 am »
asianrocker is right, routines are the way to go, you don't need yonomi. In your case, you have a scene "switch TV to HDMI 1". (Just a thought, but you might consider making that easier, like name it for whatever device is connected to that input.) Just create a routine in the Alexa app and add that control scene as the action. Call it whatever you like. I have mine set up like "Watch Apple TV", and I even have some that open apps directly, like "Watch Netflix". Everything that works with the "turn on..." command I added as "watch...", I find that more natural to say. Only issue is that the Alexa routines sometimes have issues with some abbreviations and numbers. It doesn't like "Watch PBS Kids" because of the PBS. so I have it "Watch Kids Shows". And numbers I had to spell out, like "Watch Channel Ten", but once it was set up, it works like a charm.

See, I tried that, and I can click it in the Alexa app, but when I say the phrase, Alexa says "I'm not quite sure how to help you with that." I tried several different phrases, even some very simple ones. That's why I thought Yonomi would be best - I haven't had any issues with it so far.

Drwoodr

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 09:02:09 am »
That’s strange. Other than the naming issues with routines, the only other issue I’ve run into is turning off specific devices with routines. They can turn on, but apparently not off. I do have a couple Yonomi routines to do these.  In Yonomi, I see all my harmony activities. Under things, for my harmony hub, there is start activity, and all my activities show. Does your activity turn on the device connected to the specific input you want, not just switch the hdmi input? I have activities that switch between 2 receiver inputs, but they also include turning the receiver off and on, but harmony will keep the receiver on since it’s used in both activities.

dingus

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 03:39:45 pm »
That’s strange. Other than the naming issues with routines, the only other issue I’ve run into is turning off specific devices with routines. They can turn on, but apparently not off. I do have a couple Yonomi routines to do these.  In Yonomi, I see all my harmony activities. Under things, for my harmony hub, there is start activity, and all my activities show. Does your activity turn on the device connected to the specific input you want, not just switch the hdmi input? I have activities that switch between 2 receiver inputs, but they also include turning the receiver off and on, but harmony will keep the receiver on since it’s used in both activities.

Finally got it working after reading your comments. I checked again today, and Yonomi finally had the option to use the input-switching routines from Harmony. I guess it took time for Harmony to update itself or something. However, I actually ended up getting it working through routines on the Alexa app, like you said. I realized that the issue was Alexa not recognizing what I was saying. You were right that she really doesn't like the word HDMI. Even putting spaces between the letters didn't help. I changed the phrase to "Alexa, input one" (or two) and now it works. I think part of the problem is that whenever I say "TV", it tries to manipulate an object called "TV" that doesn't exist, since I don't have a Smart TV that can connect directly to Alexa.

I still think I'm gonna see if there's a way I get her to recognize "HDMI One" as a command, because she recognizes it when I ask "Alexa, what is HDMI?", but it works well for now. Thanks so much for your help.

Drwoodr

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 06:34:20 pm »
Glad I could help.  I spent literally hours trying to figure out why some routines would work and others didn’t.