Echo & Alexa Forums

Turning of VoiceView Screen Reader on Echo Show

Beth19

Turning of VoiceView Screen Reader on Echo Show
« on: December 28, 2017, 06:39:43 pm »
Hello - I just got an Echo Show for Christmas and somehow I activated "VoiceView Screen Reader" on the Accessibility menu.  Now, I can't turn it off. It won't let me press the microphone button to get to the settings menu. If I say "Alexa, go to the settings menu, " it won't let me scroll down to get to accessibility. I just want to turn the thing off.

Laurel

Re: Turning of VoiceView Screen Reader on Echo Show
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 07:30:49 pm »
I was trying to help you Beth and got myself into a pickle lol.  I turned on voiceview screen reader and couldn't turn it off.  So I was cursing you (a joke sort of lol) as I had to do a factory reset.  I just had to re-register my device.  Only took 5 minutes, but I won't be touching that setting again. I suggest you do a factory re-set like I had to do. I used the website to do the re-set versus the app. Good luck! 

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 09:55:04 pm »
Hello - I just got an Echo Show for Christmas and somehow I activated "VoiceView Screen Reader" on the Accessibility menu.  Now, I can't turn it off. It won't let me press the microphone button to get to the settings menu. If I say "Alexa, go to the settings menu, " it won't let me scroll down to get to accessibility. I just want to turn the thing off.

The microphone button will not get you to the settings menu. On the Echo Show, you should swipe from the top of the screen to the bottom of the screen. That will bring up a toolbar. On that toolbar, tap the Settings icon.

Laurel

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 10:16:14 pm »
I think she was in settings and accessibility and got into trouble getting out. of voiceview screen reader.  That is what happened to me.  I won't try to repeat what I did to explain it properly for fear I have to reset things again lol. 

asianrocker

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 08:19:48 am »
A quick google search and there is link to amazon site how to turn on/off VoiceView Screen Reader. Deregistering 'solution' are for noobs.  :o When in doubt, google.

I for one would be in state of desperation and exasperation if I resort to deregistering or factory resetting any of my gadgets which is the ultimate last resort. It means I could not find a solution anywhere.

Laurel

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 11:35:50 am »
I sort of wondered about de-registering, but it doesn't seem like I lose much in the way of stored info. or am I wrong about that?  I set up my pictures to scroll again and that was about it.  It seems to play all my playlists. What do I lose with de-registering please?  My husband was worried when I did that.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 01:52:15 pm »
According to Amazon, to turn off VoiceView:

Swipe down from the top of the screen with two fingers to open Quick Settings.

Tip: If you're on the lock screen, place two fingers on the screen, swipe up from the bottom of the screen, and then open Quick Settings.

Tap Settings, and then double-tap the screen to open the Settings menu.
    Tap Accessibility, and then double-tap the screen to open the Accessibility menu.
    Tap VoiceView, and then double-tap the screen .
    Next to VoiceViewReader, tap the switch, and then double-tap to confirm your selection.
    In the alert that appears, tap Continue, and then double-tap to confirm.