Echo & Alexa Forums

echo and dot “everywhere group” stops playing after 1 or two songs

banchefski

I also have found that my “everywhere group”, made up of one echo and one dot play perfectly on their own, but when combined in the “everywhere” group, the music stops either from device or from both.  Sometimes one will “restart”, both most of the time, the music must be restarted by voice.  I use pandora and amazon music unlimited, and I am NOT using a bluetooth speaker on either.  I even added a 5 gig range extender for my wifi, which was strong enough on its own (I only live in 1200 square feet).  Any suggestions, as this is so very annoying??????

Re: echo and dot “everywhere group” stops playing after 1 or two songs
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 08:31:53 am »
I don't think the 5 ghz range extender does anything useful for Alexa/echo devices... they communicate on the 2.4 ghz frequency if I'm not mistaken... I've been having this discussion with someone more tech savvy on FB and they don't agree with me about how home WIFI frequency can be a player... but I have "proofed" my wifi system issues and found getting all of my devices on the 2.4 ghz signal cures all the issues and I can re-create the problem by switching ONLY the frequency back to 5 ghz and things quit communicating... Just something to consider. If your extender will broadcast 2.4 it may help with signal issues.

Also... on one of the other threads on this forum has a discussion going about some stations breaking up a lot... Might watch that thread as well...http://www.echotalk.org/index.php?topic=3201.0
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

rleelee

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 02:18:32 pm »
I, too, am having the exact same issue.  I attempted to move them all to the 5G connection, but it made no difference.  They just quit while in the "everywhere" group and will randomly restart, sometimes.  It wasn't a problem at first, but the last week has been rediculous.  I've eliminated the group and recreated it, but same issue.  Each will play indefinitely on their own.  Doesn't look like Amazon was much help either.

OneTrak

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 10:03:17 am »
Same issue here. I have a Dot & two 1st gen Alexa's on "everywhere" group, when I ask it to play from Pandora or Amazon it will play one song then stop, if I say play next it will play another song then stop once again. Very frustrating. Any input would be greatly appreciated. :-\

OneTrak

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 12:01:49 pm »
So I wanted to try and get this resolved today. I did a hard reset on my 2nd gen dot. removed all from the everywhere group and logged out of app, then logged in & put all three devices in the everywhere group. So far so good...has been streaming from iheart radio for the last 2 hours without a hitch. Fingers crossed it's working now :)

banchefski

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 07:37:17 pm »
I don't think the 5 ghz range extender does anything useful for Alexa/echo devices... they communicate on the 2.4 ghz frequency if I'm not mistaken... I've been having this discussion with someone more tech savvy on FB and they don't agree with me about how home WIFI frequency can be a player... but I have "proofed" my wifi system issues and found getting all of my devices on the 2.4 ghz signal cures all the issues and I can re-create the problem by switching ONLY the frequency back to 5 ghz and things quit communicating... Just something to consider. If your extender will broadcast 2.4 it may help with signal issues.

Also... on one of the other threads on this forum has a discussion going about some stations breaking up a lot... Might watch that thread as well...http://www.echotalk.org/index.php?topic=3201.0

banchefski

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 07:40:30 pm »

Thank you so much for the helpful response!!!  i greatly appreciate your help!

banchefski

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 07:42:02 pm »
I, too, am having the exact same issue.  I attempted to move them all to the 5G connection, but it made no difference.  They just quit while in the "everywhere" group and will randomly restart, sometimes.  It wasn't a problem at first, but the last week has been rediculous.  I've eliminated the group and recreated it, but same issue.  Each will play indefinitely on their own.  Doesn't look like Amazon was much help either.

Thank you for your response...i hope we find an answer to this problem!!

banchefski

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 07:43:58 pm »
So I wanted to try and get this resolved today. I did a hard reset on my 2nd gen dot. removed all from the everywhere group and logged out of app, then logged in & put all three devices in the everywhere group. So far so good...has been streaming from iheart radio for the last 2 hours without a hitch. Fingers crossed it's working now :)

Thank you so much for this response, and I will definitely give it a try.....the “everywhere group” is great, when it works.  But, at this time it is not very often!!

OneTrak

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 04:24:48 pm »
I did the hard reset a week ago & it has been working perfect since. I have this setup in our work and it plays 8 hours a day 6 days a week.Sp far so good.  :D

banchefski

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 03:37:26 pm »

Thanks so much....I have tried hard resets on both the echo and dot, signed out and back in to the app, and still the “everywhere” group cuts out after just a short time (1-2 songs on pandora)...Any other possible remedies???? 
Thanks for all your help!!

lfneto

Other then keeping resetting has anyone figured out the root cause and a solution?
Needless to say I am experiencing the same issue and it only gets worst with more members in the group.
I am tired or re-configuring the "everywhere" group and hard resets to get it working for a few hours and then reset again.
The WIfi signal is strong on all echo/dot location and to be more precise one of 2 dots on same AP with the same signal strength stopped playing a few minutes ago (got me to search for possible cause/solution) while the other ones in the house are still playing.   

I have very high end network appliances with reliable network and 0% packet loss internet access, so that most likely is not the issue, plus if just one echo/dot is playing (non group) it will play forever.

Most of the time I use pandora, yet I am also having an old phone (wifi) playing the same pandora station and it goes on for days to weeks without stopping, so it is definitely isolated to echo/dot multi room playing.

Any suggestions?

asianrocker

well the group function is obviously very bugged. The amazon people need to find out why this keeps happening. I've experienced it myself but not the sound but my hue light is the only one that uses the group function and it just stop working all of a sudden.

The dreaded delete and re register solved it but just goes to show something is very wrong with their group function program. Because it affects all sources that use the group function.

iolinux333

I've found that as long as every Echo in the group is on the SAME router at 2.4, everything works fine.

Anything besides that setup is a mess.