Echo & Alexa Forums

What are the 3 - 5 things I should first do with Alexa?

DavidThi

What are the 3 - 5 things I should first do with Alexa?
« on: December 27, 2017, 08:13:06 pm »
Hi;

I know there's a million things that can be done with Alexa. What are the 3 - 5 things that my wife & I are most likely to find the most useful/helpful?

thanks - dave

Re: What are the 3 - 5 things I should first do with Alexa?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 08:41:54 pm »
it all depends on your needs and interests.  just try the different features and see what you like.

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 08:25:10 am »
I agree... it depends on the people involved more than anything.

However, I will tell what the top 5 for me and my wife are as an example

1) Control lights by voice (added Philips hue bulbs and bridge system)
2) Cooking timers for my wife
3) control Audio/Video system (added a Logitech Harmony Hub for this)
4) Track Packages ordered from Amazon
5) Reminders

These are just my top 5 as we use the Echos for a lot more but only sporadically need things outside those top 5. I don't do music through Alexa, but a lot of people do, so I understand that could be a top 5 for a lot of folks.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

coyote

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 11:36:52 am »
If you already have a smartphone or tablet, here’s a few that make life easy:

Todoist. Enable it on Alexa, download the app to all your phones and tablets. What this does is to make your shopping and to-do lists ubiquitous and self-building.  I have a Dot in the kitchen, and any time I’m reaching the end of a product that needs replacing I say “Alexa, add ___________ to the shopping list” and within seconds it appears in Todoist on every device. So you never have to stop and think about what you might need, because it’s already on your list!

So there’s that, plus calendar linking. ‘Alexa, add _______ to the calendar next Tuesday at 7pm” and it appears on my google calendar. Along with timers and alarms.

I also just got Echo Connect. Fantastic integration of my home phone line.

I also have it wound into so many smart house functions... but if you don’t have those things yet, the bone will keep you busy and set the stage for more.

Jeff

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 06:43:32 pm »
You should definitely enable the "Sleep and Relaxation Sounds", "Millionaire Game", and "My Workouts" skills.

I'm probably just a little bit biased since I am the developer, but I think you'll find they are all highly rated and very popular!! 

asianrocker

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 08:50:10 am »
You should definitely enable the "Sleep and Relaxation Sounds", "Millionaire Game", and "My Workouts" skills.

I'm probably just a little bit biased since I am the developer, but I think you'll find they are all highly rated and very popular!!

I checked out all your skill and surprised to see your sleep sounds skill is enabled. I do remember enabling it just doesn't use it as often.

So Amazon pays you correct. How you get paid if you care to share.

Sleeper12

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 10:07:14 am »
I wanted to add my TV and audio receiver, but they are both plugged into a surge protector.

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 01:45:53 pm »
I wanted to add my TV and audio receiver, but they are both plugged into a surge protector.

That has almost nothing to do with how you can control things... Surge protectors are a great idea on all the devices we use. There are ways to work out the controls even if you use smart outlets with the surge protectors... Just have to be smarter than the electrical wires... Like these things...https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Extension-Outlet-16AWG-13A-Listed/dp/B00CEJW0WQ/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1514659441&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=short+extension+cord&psc=1
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro

Jeff

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 01:03:53 pm »
I checked out all your skill and surprised to see your sleep sounds skill is enabled. I do remember enabling it just doesn't use it as often.

So Amazon pays you correct. How you get paid if you care to share.

Thanks so much for enabling our "Sleep and Relaxation Sounds" skill.  We are always adding new sounds, so make sure to check them out!

Yes, Amazon pays developers for top skills.  You can find out all the details here: https://developer.amazon.com/alexa-skills-kit/rewards  If you have questions, let me know!

DavidThi

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 10:19:35 am »
If you already have a smartphone or tablet, here’s a few that make life easy:

Todoist. Enable it on Alexa, download the app to all your phones and tablets. What this does is to make your shopping and to-do lists ubiquitous and self-building.  I have a Dot in the kitchen, and any time I’m reaching the end of a product that needs replacing I say “Alexa, add ___________ to the shopping list” and within seconds it appears in Todoist on every device. So you never have to stop and think about what you might need, because it’s already on your list!

So there’s that, plus calendar linking. ‘Alexa, add _______ to the calendar next Tuesday at 7pm” and it appears on my google calendar. Along with timers and alarms.

I also just got Echo Connect. Fantastic integration of my home phone line.

I also have it wound into so many smart house functions... but if you don’t have those things yet, the bone will keep you busy and set the stage for more.

thank you.

BTW, can it connect to my calendar on Outlook. I do everything through my work calendar and that's on hosted outlook (exchange).

dragon123

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 02:13:19 pm »
BTW, can it connect to my calendar on Outlook. I do everything through my work calendar and that's on hosted outlook (exchange).

It says it can, under settings. You can link calendars from: google (gmail & gsuite), microsoft (outlook.com & noffice365), apple (icoloud) and microsoft exchange.

dragon123

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 02:18:24 pm »
Hi;

I know there's a million things that can be done with Alexa. What are the 3 - 5 things that my wife & I are most likely to find the most useful/helpful?

thanks - dave

I use these functions a LOT:
-control lights (philips hue and smartplugs)
-control TV/stereo/plex/TV/blu-rays (using harmony hub)
-music (plex, tune-in, spotify)
-shopping list and to to list
-date, time, timers
-weather
-quick calculations

Since I don't live in an official alexa country, a lot of local stuff doesn't work for me. I'm assuming I'd use some of those functions a lot as well if I had access to them.

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 03:40:00 pm »
How does a guy get the wife to start using the lists? I try ad try and try and my wife just won't adapt to using Alexa for lists for shopping or anything... LOL... Why is that?
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro

coyote

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 08:17:06 am »
How does a guy get the wife to start using the lists? I try ad try and try and my wife just won't adapt to using Alexa for lists for shopping or anything... LOL... Why is that?

Unfortunately, spousal acceptance is often difficult to obtain.
Just the way it is. lol

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 04:05:09 pm »

Unfortunately, spousal acceptance is often difficult to obtain.
Just the way it is. lol

I was hoping someone would recommend a skill... LOL but Yeah... I'll keep at it and see if I can get her to start using the lists...

Alexa Skill "Spousal acceptance" has been requested... Now it's up to the guys at amazon and other programmers to figure the one out.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro