Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Multi Room Setup problem

Flo61

Multi Room Setup problem
« on: December 25, 2017, 06:10:36 am »
Hi all,
first to all of you a Merry Christmas!
As I am a real newbie I want to apologize for my potentially stupid questions.
Here my problem:
I have one Plus and two dots. Yesterday I installed the devices and everything worked perfectly incl. the Multiroom setup. Overnight I had a problem with my wlan router and I had to re register my Echo's. All with their names as yesterday. They work fine individually BUT when I now want to set up Multiroom music I have the problem that when I select one device the 2 other gray out and a message appears that the other 2 devices are Unreachable :-(. They are all in the same network and we have only one Amazon account in the family. Help please.

Cheers,
Flo
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 10:02:40 am by Flo61 »

zaphod

Re: Multi Room Setup problem
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 02:27:14 pm »
first Merry Christmas to you as well!  second no question is stupid, not asking is. so you are off on the right foot!

twice i had that happen. what i did to resolve the unreachables was to begin with the app.

look on whatever device you have the alexa app installed on. open it and then upper left corner, tap on the three bars. then go down to settings. you'll see all your echo units listed in order at top left. look to see if under each it says they are online or offline. if offline try the old standard, power down your router. then unplug your 'offline' echo units. next power your router back up. once your pc, tablet or phone shows your wifi is back up plug those echos back in. after a few minutes go back into the alexa app(close and reopen the app to refresh data) see if the devices show as online now.

the only other two things that i can think might be related would be if someone had something running in the background preventing music from playing? even if you don't know what you could simply say to each unit, alexa stop. the other might be if in settings you have a 'do not disturb' time interfering with playback? i disabled our do not disturb function. so with any luck one of those will help out. better yet you've already fixed things and don't need any help :D

Flo61

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 03:46:48 pm »
Hi Zaphod,

Thanks for your kind reply.

All 3 devices are online and work on their own fine. The only problem is to group them - which worked a day before just fine. I googled quite a bit and there is an idea that I have to much traffic on my router on the same 2.4 ghz frequency and for what ever reason no device is using the 5ghz band even though it is set on auto. I'll let you know when I figure out that thing.

Cheers and a happy 2018!

banchefski

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 09:22:21 pm »
Thanks so much for your input.  I am running my echo and dot on a range extender on 5 gig, and the multiform music still stops playing either on one or both, usually after 1 or 2 songs.  Independently, each works fine, even before I added the range extender.  I still don’t know why multi-room music, using pandora and/or amazon unlimited music “cuts off”. 
Please keep me posted if and when you find an answer/remedy.  I greatly appreciate your due diligence!!!