Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Plus + Philips Hue Bridge

Albschmidt

Echo Plus + Philips Hue Bridge
« on: December 24, 2017, 03:00:55 am »
I suppose I made a common mistake happening to people who have not done enough research: I thought the Echo Plus was a fully fledged zigbee hub for RGB LEDs. This is not the case however and Alexa can only do basic tasks like changing the colors and the brightness of the bulbs, but cannot set up scenes, make a light alarm, set routines etc.

Therefore I bought the Philips Hue bridge as well and unpaired the lights from Echo Plus and paired them to the bridge. Afterwards I paired the bridge to the Echo Plus. The Echo Plus found the bridge and the associated lights, but does not recognise them as RGB lights anymore. Is this normal? I would like to be able to use advanced features and apps (thus the Philips hue bridge), but would still like to be able to do basic tasks via Alexa (which is not possible anymore after going via the bridge).

Thanks a lot for your help

asianrocker

Re: Echo Plus + Philips Hue Bridge
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 10:48:23 am »
While I am sad you wasted money for having double hubs I believe it is unnecessary.

I have a hue bridge but just hubless echo. Pretty sure you have used hue app setting up your bridge right? Just asking coz my Alexa app have scenes options which I never used. And it also comes up in routines.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 07:31:15 am by asianrocker »

asianrocker

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 09:54:29 pm »
My husband surprised me with bunch of gifts just now, including my most wanted - hue color bulb. So I am gonna update when I found out how to rock this hue color bulb.

He also bought me a portable speaker with alexa built in. It said I can also control smart home from it so yap lots of new toys to play with... Wooohooo. Merry Christmas!! to me! LOOOOOOOL.  ;D :D

asianrocker

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 06:59:05 am »
Hardly had any sleep. excited playing with my gifts. I found out you need 3rd party apps to rock your hue bulbs. And you have to pay for most of them!?

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Phillips hue.  >:( Not happy about that. I definitely will biatch to them about it.

But since I am so happy thanks to my husband and it is Christmas after all, I am happy to say I found a free one. This is both for Android and Windows 10 - huegasm.

asianrocker

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 09:24:10 am »
Well also found out, there's a lot if IFFTs for hue color, don't know if it's free though, happy with the free app I'm using so far. At least I don't have to login to use it.