Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa basics for new owners from LoveMyEcho

strayfish

Alexa basics for new owners from LoveMyEcho
« on: December 22, 2017, 05:32:34 pm »

mike27oct

Re: Alexa basics for new owners from LoveMyEcho
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 06:18:41 pm »
Great idea!  Since there is nothing like this at this site, the link to this FAQ ought o be posted in large font on first page of this site. 
 have started to stop replying to the same sort of newbie questions anymore at this and other tech forums.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 01:18:18 pm by mike27oct »

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 09:21:18 pm »
Great idea!  Since there is nothing likr thid at this site the link to this FAQ ought o be posted in large font on first page of this site. 
 have started to stop replying to the same sort of newbie questions anymore at this and other tech forums.

so I guess you forgot what it was like to be a newbie, someone who is new to forums.   

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 12:58:34 am »
Nope, but I can spot someone a mile away who has done no homework by even reading the simple instruction card that comes with a device.  I have little empathy for those who will not help themself one little iota.  Tell ya what; YOU help them. You know who they are, too.

strayfish

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 03:57:56 am »
You're both really helpful, I've relied on you more than once. Kiss and make up, eh? :)

AlanH

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 04:09:24 am »
Great idea!  Since there is nothing likr thid at this site the link to this FAQ ought o be posted in large font on first page of this site. 

so I guess you forgot what it was like to be a newbie, someone who is new to forums.
Unfortunately Mr. Grumpy has short term memory loss, and is still suffering from his anger management issues.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 06:27:55 pm »
You can help someone if you want. It is not mandatory.

For example, if someone says "RTFM" or "Search Google" to answer another person's question, that is not being helpful. If your intent is to help, then by all means help that person. But unhelpful responses should be withheld and just stay silent.

Just a reminder, you can always ignore someone if you don't want to see their posts again.
Here's how:
If you are on a device with a small screen, click the menu icon first.
On the menu, click Profile > Modify Profile > Buddies/Ignore List > Edit Ignore List. Type in the name of the person you want to ignore and click the Add button. Repeat if you want to add more people to that list.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 06:31:48 pm by jwlv »

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 09:53:09 pm »
Thanks JWLV.  That's right we can choose who we want to help or not help.  We live in a free country.  I choose to not help folks who show NO effort of helping themselves and help folks who show some sort of effort.. It has nothing to do with anger management.  For example, I can choose to let AlanH's snarky retore go answered or unanswered.  I choose the latter; it's  Christmas Eve.

strayfish

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 03:29:33 am »
How about we start again with this post? I've just tried to remove it so we can make a new, maybe more welcoming thread but it seems I can't. Maybe admin can, I'd appreciate that.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 03:41:45 am by strayfish »

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2017, 03:54:45 am »
instead of having to go to another website, it would be better to recreate the information here and maybe get one of the moderator to make it a sticky that cannot be replied to.   

strayfish

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2017, 04:42:39 am »
instead of having to go to another website, it would be better to recreate the information here and maybe get one of the moderator to make it a sticky that cannot be replied to.   
That would be a good solution. Meanwhile, this is here and looking a bit unwelcoming *sigh*.

strayfish

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 05:52:40 pm »
I'm putting all of these here http://www.echotalk.org/index.php/topic,3169.msg17020.html#msg17020 and adding new FAQ posts as they come in.

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 09:52:24 pm »
I'm putting all of these here http://www.echotalk.org/index.php/topic,3169.msg17020.html#msg17020 and adding new FAQ posts as they come in.

has this forum become an extension of that website?   that is why it is better for this forum to create its own tutorials or faqs.   there is no reason to redirect traffic to another advertised based website.   it look like you are shilling for them.  If you must post links, would it not be better to post from the source - amazon?????
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 10:00:28 pm by renegade600 »

mike27oct

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 12:20:02 am »
The other site is different than this one in many ways.  I remembet when it started. The site proprietor stated she was a developer for the Echo.  Her job is a full time developer, and so this site is an extension of her occupation.  Tjis site was put up for USERS and jwlv has no known affiliation with Amazon.  This site is a hobbyist's site, and the focus of the sites are quite different. And, both sites have ads to help pay for them.  I have no problem with any of this.

I think it is a great idea that folks here are referred to any other site.  The owner there has the time and resources to devote to writing stuff about the Echo -- it may be her main purpose in life at this time.  Glad she has the time and writing skills for extended essays.