Echo & Alexa Forums

Google Home Automation using a Broadlink RM.

Google Home Automation using a Broadlink RM.
« on: December 22, 2017, 11:10:52 am »
Many Alexa users have picked up one of these and have them setup to control all kinds of none smart IR and RF devices.
But Google home devices can use this too! ;)
Recently I got a google home mini and was surprised by how easy it was to setup using the SmartThings cloud simulated Hub ;)
The SmartThings cloud means you don't need a physical SmartThings HUB however it will work that way too.
If you have been wishing to utilize one of these devices with Google home then check out the readme:
https://beckyricha.github.io/Broadlink-RM-SmartThings-Alexa/RM%20Bridge%20Cloud%20Readme.html
Setup is a bit different if you have a physical hub and you will need to follow instructions in this readme: https://beckyricha.github.io/Broadlink-RM-SmartThings-Alexa/RM%20Bridge%20LAN%20Readme.html

asianrocker

Re: Google Home Automation using a Broadlink RM.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 10:39:53 pm »
Ya this is what makes me not touch these really awesome hubless softwares/homebrew:

This requires that you open a port on your router. You should, at a minimum, set up the security features in the RM Bridge app, but may wish to consider other security concepts as well. Research and decisions about network security are your responsibility, and I won’t be liable for that if you use this code.

ALL of them have that warning. And I am clueless about network security, unfortunately.  :-\ :'(

Re: Google Home Automation using a Broadlink RM.
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 08:25:31 am »
Yep your opening a port to the device running the RM Bridge and it has security.
And Samsungs SmartThings Cloud has security.
Actualy anyone getting into home automation should know about simple port forwarding if you plan control from outside your home.
All internet conected devices have security issues not portecting your self by learning about basic authorization   Using plug and play is fine for initial setup but leaving defaults is asking for trouble.
Everyones home network is only as secure as you make it.
I'm surprised at how many people leave their routers with the log on info their ISP asigned them. I can get into about 10 routers in my neighbourhood and access all their personal info if i wished.
So opening a port should be the least of anyones worries.