Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa, Insteon, Velop = Insteon hub not responding

jmsrolls

Alexa, Insteon, Velop = Insteon hub not responding
« on: December 22, 2017, 07:44:31 am »
Years ago I created an Inteon scene to turn on certain house lights at sundown. We used a command (Alexa, turn off the night lights) to turn off the lights when we went to bed.

The Insteon hub was connected directly to our Comcast Arris modem/router and worked flawlessly with Alexa. Recently I upgraded our home Wi-Fi network to a Linksys Velop mesh system. I connected the insteon hub to Velop node #1 by wire and connected Alexa to the Velop Wi-Fi mesh network. Things worked well at first then intermittedly Alexa would tell us that the insteon hub was not responding. Eventually the hub no longer responded at all.

I've tried resetting the hub, Alexa, and plugging the hub back into the Arris modem/router directly. Still no joy.

Any suggestions?

mdmitch21

Re: Alexa, Insteon, Velop = Insteon hub not responding
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 04:20:51 pm »
Against my better judgement, I threw caution to the wind... and also bought a Velop network. When I copied the settings from my old router, of course my Insteon Hub went offline and became unusable. Apparently sometimes.... less is more.

HERE IS THE FIX:

I removed the "port forwarding" portion from the Velop. (although I did leave a reserved DHCP address for the hub)... then the green light on my Insteon Hub came back on. But the catch is... to use it with ALEXA, you have to go into the Alexa App and force it to RUN DISCOVERY! If you just ask her to run discovery, she just says there are no new devices. So just use the APP. That's it. Works like a charm now. Hope this helps someone.