Echo & Alexa Forums

upload music to amazon no more

upload music to amazon no more
« on: December 21, 2017, 04:56:41 pm »
look like you will no longer be able to play your own music on the echo through amazon music.  they have eliminated the 250 free uploads and will eliminate new subscriptions in January. 

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/12/amazon-music-ends-mp3-upload-support-will-end-music-storage-service-in-2019/

SixFootSteve

Re: upload music to amazon no more
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 06:46:01 pm »
 :(

Not happy, having previously ripped and uploaded nigh-on 30 years worth of purchased CD's and uploaded.

The paid for subscription services will probably have all the mainstream stuff, but not rare live recordings or alternative versions of a song.

Wonder if you can create a skill to playback from my OneDrive backup of all those MP3's...  :D

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 06:59:06 pm »
"Tween Apple and Amazon, I'm pretty much done with MusicServices by all. Apple recently jacked my whole Music library by basically taking all of my music away and replacing it with the type of thing mentioned above... their "best guess" copy of my tunes... and some are not tunes that are available through apple's streaming so they just found something with a similar enough name and planted garbage in place of my Favorite songs... MY Songs... not theirs. What ever happened to everyone being consumer friendly with Music playing options and storage options. I am having to go back 15 years and start using MP3 players I have stored in drawers (that actually still work as well) and load music up on thumb drives for the car again... It sucks that they get you in to their system, then pluck all the feathers out of ya leaving you naked and cold when it comes to what used to be your entire music collection. Fortunately I still have MY copies on other drives and storage means... so I can go backward 15 years like a good idiot. I haven't bought into any of the Amazon Music crap... but I have watched as Apple slowly made managing  your music with THEIR software a thing of the past... Closing down access on your devices, and making it all Streaming where they could figure out they had a similar copy of the music you had... never the one you actually had... Big rant over, but many more to come over what the big music streamers are doing and have done... they have caused me great los of music on my devices and a great loss of time trying to get back a sliver of my music life.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 07:02:22 pm »
I was planning to upload some during the holiday time off.  guess I won't be now.   Now I wonder when the monthly fee to use alexa starts. 

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 08:32:18 pm »
This is not a loss at all.  Sure, I uploaded my 250 free tracks long ago to see that it worked; kind of a hassle tho.  I never listen to that uploaded music.

INSTEAD, right now I am listening to a random selection of my entire digital music collection on a Google Home (because it sounds better on it than on an Echo or any Amazon Alexa gadget,) but I could listen on Alexa if I wanted to.

How?  Easy, since my music collection is stored on a home server called a NAS, and music stored on it is being managed by an iOS app on an old iPad that sends it to the GH or Alexa thingy.

I have mentioned this repeatedly here, and anyone with an appreciable collection of media files like music, photos and videos needs a NAS; (even a small one) for just a few hundred bucks you can have one.  Buy it on Amazon!

asianrocker

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 10:35:38 pm »
Maybe that's the reason why they are partnering with Cortana. I think Microsoft is happy with this.

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 01:01:47 pm »
Not a loss to me either.  My extensive music library is stored in iTunes.  No problem listening to my music w/my DOT through BT speakers.  Also, using iTunes/DOT/BT, I listen to streaming music as well as internet radio stations.
I also have an iPod Nano w/Video 5th Gen w/loads of music as well as music videos which I enjoy when I am out & about as well as connect to my car.

My CD collection I can listen throughout my home thanks to my stereo/receiver.

I only needed Amazon to set up its Alexa browser app.

k9kids

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 11:09:03 pm »
I'm with Mike.

I use a NAS for all my music and access it from my Sonos network.

t2jock

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 06:15:31 am »
I'm in the process of migrating my music collection from a Synology DS-213j http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/storage/nas-drives/52780/synology-diskstation-ds213j-review to a newer model.  The 213 works fine but my music collection is too large for the processor in this older model to provide fast enough service.  (I have almost 2TB of music.) If anyone has a smaller collection and is interested in picking up a bargain, let me know, as soon as the migration is completed, I'm going to be selling the 213.

There are many things that using someone's cloud service (Apple/Amazon/Dropbox) is good for.  But maintaining the integrity and security of a media collection is something you need to have personal control over.  Running a Synology NAS is not that complex and the benefits go way beyond being able to store and manage your media locally.  I can access my library from anywhere that I have a decent Internet connection and play my media on every device I own, from my phone and tablet to my AppleTV and Amazon FireTV.

mike27oct

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 01:44:29 pm »
Yes, I like the remote access of my Western Digital My Cloud NAS as well.  Although I tout the advantages of having a NAS, one does not have to have one to access their music and videos from any device locally on the home network.  All it takes is to create a home network with "shared" drives and devices on it.  Both Windows and Mac networks can be set up this way.  Before I had a NAS, I had drives on a WDTV media player shared on the network as well as shared drives on a PC. (In fact, I still do) and I can access them from mobile phone and tablet just as I can from NAS.