Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa in RV's

cybutler

Alexa in RV's
« on: December 19, 2017, 10:05:38 pm »

We've tried using our Echo Dot in our RV, through our cell phone hotspot.  It didn't work.  Wouldn't connect. This was last year so maybe things have changed? We leave for our Christmas road trip on Thursday and really want Alexa to go with us. 

I've heard there are car "hotspots" than can be purchased (Synchup from TMobile but got terrible reviews and Mobley from AT&T.)  Need to know if this is the only way to make it work.

Any solutions/suggestions will be most appreciated.

TIA

Offline kevb

Re: Alexa in RV's
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 08:09:39 am »
I've been able to get an Echo to connect to my cell phone's hotspot, but I needed my wife's phone also to do it. I turned on my hotspot, connected my wife's phone to the hotspot, then went through the echo setup on her phone, connecting the Echo to my hotspot. If you get a car hotspot, you will need to use the same procedure. Connect your phone to the hotspot, then set up the Echo. Hope this helps.

t2jock

Re: Alexa in RV's
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 06:52:55 am »
I have a MiFi hotspot from Verizon that I use in my RV.  When I first tried setting this up, I couldn't get the Dot to see the MiFi, but a subsequent update from Amazon solved that problem.  I set up the Dot using the Alexa app on my iPad without any problems on the second try about this time last year.

I also use a Vaux speaker & battery I picked up on Amazon which greatly improves the sound quality and gives me the ability to use the Dot while on the road, without AC power, as my Thor Vegas lacks an inverter.  Overall, I'm very happy with how it all works.