Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Dot keeps losing Wi-Fi Connection

nicolec

Echo Dot keeps losing Wi-Fi Connection
« on: December 17, 2017, 02:41:53 pm »
My Echo dot continuously loses its connection to Wi-Fi. Everything else on my Wi-Fi (laptop and phone) work perfectly fine. Whenever I reset my router or modem it connects just fine but then within 8-48 hours it loses the connection again and will not connect. I've been on the phone with amazon tech support several times and once we reset the router and it connects we end the call and then some hours later it loses its connection again so we never get to the base of the problem. We even looped in AT&T tech support on one of the calls and still nothing as all they did was remotely reset my modem and then when it connected they said great and ended the call. (I have AT&T U-Verse) Then about a day later it disconnected again.

According to a thread i found apparently having the 2.4ghz and 5ghz connections named the same is the problem. But I tried renaming my 2.4 ghz connection and my echo dot has connected to it. Then just like an hour or so later it disconnected. All my other devices are still connected to the wifi.

I also tried setting up my dot using the web browser and it still wouldn't fix this issue so its not my phone or the app that has the problem, but i have uninstalled and reinstalled the app but again this is just a temporary fix and sooner or later it loses the connection.

Resetting the router/modem/echo dot are all only temporary fixes, still not sure what the actual problem is. Any suggestions would be awesome!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 02:44:25 pm by nicolec »

mike27oct

Re: Echo Dot keeps losing Wi-Fi Connection
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 03:42:35 pm »
U Verse router have a reputation of being flaky for some equipment, but I do not this is the root of the problem.  Most likely you have a weak wireless signal between router and Dot. Move the Dot closer to router.  Connect Dot to 2.4G only since this band has longer range.  Things will work better for you now.  Let me know if it doesn't.

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 04:48:21 pm »
I agree, try moving the dot a couple of feet from the router in order to test if it is a signal problem.

Mike echo

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 09:00:37 pm »
Mine was doing the same, then I found out that the IP address the echo was getting was the same as the static ip that I was using for a security cam. I went into my router and have the echo an ip and nwas more issues.

zaphod

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 04:15:57 pm »
i had absolutely no issues for over a year. then last month someone moved nearby. they wanted wifi out to their barn so they have a high power antenna & on the same channel as i am on. i couldn't figure out why my solid wifi was unreliable and my devices kept losing connection? i scanned the wifi channels and found he'd gone with channel 6 too. changed to channel 11 with nobody on that. i have had no connection issues since. thankfully we don't have but the one neighbor nearby but can imagine the difficulty of getting a channel without having others all trying to get wifi in the same 'lane.' good luck no matter!

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 05:19:00 pm »
zaphod, good for you! I'm glad you did your own investigation and found out a neighbor essentially hijacked your WiFi channel. I suspect that in high density areas, such as condos and apartment buildings, this is more of an issue with dozens of people fighting for a usable WiFi channel. And then everyone will just use higher and higher powered routers. Kind of like a WiFi cold war.

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 07:23:37 pm »
A problem in the suburbs, too.  I frequently check the wi-fi around me by using an Android app called Wi-Fi Analyzer. It is a necessity. Things are always changing around here as people come and go.  If I did not a Kindle tablet, that has the app on it, I would have to have a cheap/used Android smartphone for just this app since there is not an iOS version!

nicolec

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 12:23:57 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions, I moved my dot closer (i mean i am only in a one bed room apartment so it was never far but still), i re-installed the Alexa app, reset the dot, unplugged and plugged in my router, and connected it to the 2.4 GHz WiFi and it connected. Only for a few days though. It disconnected when i tried to connect my new amazon fire tablet to my WiFi (which also wouldn't connect) Maybe there is an incompatibility between amazon products and my WiFi? I'm thinking i may try a full factory reset on my router to see if that fixes the problem... If not i may just give up and return my dot (and possibly my tablet if it can't connect either)

Maybe since i am in an apartment complex its to busy WiFi - wise...?

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 12:43:27 pm »

Maybe since i am in an apartment complex its to busy WiFi - wise...?
Change your wi-fi channel as mentioned previously.

nicolec

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 11:18:22 am »
I did a factory reset on my router last week and so far that seems to have fixed the problem. Hopefully it will stay connected. Thanks for all the suggestions!

grumpygrandpa

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 05:57:56 pm »
I have been fighting with my echo dot dropping wi-fi connection.  After reading all the posts and following all the suggestions it still drops.  My wi-fi channel is 11 and only one neighbor uses it and my signal is very strong.  I updated my adapter to use 5Ghz and all seems good there.  All other devices operate very well and do not have any problems.  My home is small and the echo dot is located only about 30 feet from the router.  No "GEEK" here but I try to be a problem-solver and proactive DIYer.  Any ideas out there that I might try?

mike27oct

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 06:49:29 pm »
I appears you have done your homework, so here is something else to consider.  Could some large metal object (say, a refrigerator) be too close to either the router or the Dot so that it could be interfering with, or blocking the wi-fi signal?

Do you own your router or is it leased from ISP? 
What is brand and model?  I presume it is a dual band router? 
Even though you put the Dot on 5G, it could have jumped back to 2.4G  (which channel 11 is).  Do you know what channll 5G uses?)  Reason I say Dot may have jumped back to 2.4G is because you have set Dot to both 2.4G and 5G in the past,and since we cannot "forget" one of the bands via Dot, if something happens to cause one band to quit, even for a short while, the Dot will jump to other band if available.

HoffiMuc

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 04:12:38 pm »
I can confirm that turning of the 802.11a option for the 5GHz in the WiFi Router solved the problem.
Changed the router's WiFi Settings from "802.11a/n/ac" to "802.11n/ac" and echo dots work just fine now.