Echo & Alexa Forums

Cortana Connected Home?

Cortana Connected Home?
« on: December 16, 2017, 04:43:19 pm »
According to all the web info I could find this is supposed to be in the Cortana settings in the note book.
I even found where someone else had noticed this and a microsoft tech asked for the users windows version but never got back as to how to fix this or even if it was possible for them to activate it.
They even asked if it was a Unites States only option to which there was no reply.
Today I decided to kill some time and opened a chat with microsoft support.
After several mins the tech final reported the option wasn't available out side the US. :(
I asked if countries that had Cortana already would get that option and if so when.
I was told it is coming but they had no idea when it would be rolled out. :( ??? ::)

asianrocker

Re: Cortana Connected Home?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 10:49:54 pm »
I googled it. I will try it when I am on my laptop. Looks like they had this since October. Not really interested in this. I prefer to use Alexa for this. I don't like turning on my laptop to control my home when Alexa is always ready to listen. Plus, between Cortana and Alexa, Cortana is more deaf. LOL.

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 02:10:02 am »
I have used Windows since the "beginning", but I have not seen Microsoft create anything innovative, not even Cortans .  It took Apple on its death bed (with their poorly-selling computers at the time) to come up with iPod, iPhone and iPads to shake up things. 

I have Cortana on my PC, but don't use it and nor do I want my PC running my home gadgets.  I like portability so use mobile devices like iPads and iPhones with great apps installed and many inexpensive gadgets like Dots.  I can use these gadgets from any room and turn on lights, and access my data from a centralized NAS home server. Meanwhile, the computers, although laptops, are connected to other gadgets like printers, drives etc, so they are less flexible to use since they are tied down with stuff. 

Talking to gadgets to get things done is not all it cracks up to be, and maybe I don't want to speak all commands;  I may want to silently  "tap" on a screen instead.  My vision has been failing, so I likely may be doing more talking and less tapping as time goes on. 

It's nice to have all these various ways to interact with gadgets, and I choose what I like best for the task to perform.

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 07:14:58 am »
I like you mike21oct have been using Windows since the beginning.
The difference is I've been controling my home devices from my PC since the 80's and still do it today.
Even Alexa tells my PC what to turn on/off/dim/brighten.
I've never had to be in the same room as the PC to activate the automation on it.
I was even able to do this via voice before Alexa came out using bluetooth.

I do not plan on using Cortana directly but since I do dabble with code I thought it would be nice to experiment.
With my eyes also failing there may be a day I need her :-\

asianrocker

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 01:32:05 pm »
I like you mike21oct have been using Windows since the beginning.
The difference is I've been controling my home devices from my PC since the 80's and still do it today.
Even Alexa tells my PC what to turn on/off/dim/brighten.
I've never had to be in the same room as the PC to activate the automation on it.
I was even able to do this via voice before Alexa came out using bluetooth.

Yap, I was gonna tell him to read our discussion about it. But thanks for saying that for me. NOW, well since he get me started with apple, I shall. Do you know why I am shaking my head why most people well, teenagers view Jobs as a god? Same way Jobs peers shakes their head about it, LOL.

Maybe if I was a teenager when ipod was released, but I am not into music anymore when that was released so I never had an ipod EVER well or anything apple really.

Let me tell you about ipod, way before ipod there were loads of mostly Chinese, I think mp3 players. LOADS!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3_player

Oh, OK, of course it was from Asia. Honestly when it comes to innovation, I am more impressed with Nokia and IBM. What Jobs do is basically copy their technology and he has good eye on design and promotion. That's it!!

You might read these for people who thought Apple or Jobs invented mp3 players too, LOL.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=first+mp3+player+ever&qs=SC&pq=firstmp3+players&sk=SC1&sc=7-16&cvid=F7FB5A9AED2849BA81201D32CC77AF7D&FORM=QBRE&sp=2

I have  hacked my GPS, a mio, powered by Windows CE around same time iPhone was released. It does what iPhone can. I play old school games with it, I watch movies on it, I go to internet on it, I can make calls but only via skype (I never used it though) and yes of course I can listen to music on it.

So ya, I know ipod and iPhone was never an innovation just an overpriced product.

And tablet? Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=LaeA--rMRyA

https://www.bing.com/search?q=first+tablet+ever&form=EDGTCT&qs=AS&cvid=f409faa22787402e819fe26b08f328d1&refig=8b44ef5371f3498bf309e2941bf384dc&cc=US&setlang=en-US&PC=DCTS

Ya people just do not know the history and go with the flow that Jobs and apple is an innovator LOL, no.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 01:38:22 pm by asianrocker »

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 03:31:54 pm »
Sweetie, I am older than you, so I know the history.  I have a few cheesy Asian early mp3 players. they sucked, including my Sandisk one.  Apple not only developed a better mousetrap with iPod they had a great free database called iTunes to organize music with,  I have a lot of music still all in iTunes, only ONE album has been downloaded from Apple since they were the only one who had it at the time.  My music is NOT from Apple; too pricey, all is from my CD and LP collection and my download service, eMusic.

Innovation does not mean the first product of its kind, it means one designed well, is marketed and promoted well.  Did Microsoft Zune put the iPod out of business?  Nope.  Yes Jobs was an egotist, but he was also a business genius in many ways and brought Apple back from the dead.  Even so, I still would never buy an over-priced Apple computer, BTW.)

asianrocker

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 07:11:54 pm »
Well, I had said there is nothing a PC can't do. So honestly Microsoft is still the winner. LOL. Since Microsoft powers all PCs.

Apple is just good on design coz of Jobs  but since he died, did they release anything 'innovative?

These AIs and home automation is not new technology. It really boils down on luck and timing, I guess. Since those touch screen tablets have been around really since 70s or maybe even earlier. Even apple released their touchscreen tablet way back when, all  it needed  was just the right timing.

Same with Alexa, AIs on phone have been around and especially Narrator on PCs but well Amazon got lucky with their echo.

I actually remember 'talking' to Microsoft Sam on my PC back in the 90s. Back then you type and it answers back to you. LOL.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 07:13:26 pm by asianrocker »

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 08:27:18 am »
I finally got Cortana to control afew things.
This was by accident as I cleaned up a windows 10 intall by doing a reinstall keeping my documents.  On install i told it to use English US instead of english Canada.
When I opened Cortana  I was  surprised  with  all the options  i installed the smartthing app which I have some devices setup in ask Cortana to turn one on  and the lamp came on.
I don't  plan on controling many  Smart devices with Cortana but it doesnt make sence having a dot or google mini in a room with a PC.
Reponce time is slow but i don't  mind the time it takes to turn off my office light when leaving the room.  ;)