Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Dot Will Not Answer My Questions, such as the Weather

Sunshine1

Echo Dot Will Not Answer My Questions, such as the Weather
« on: December 18, 2017, 03:11:38 pm »
I am a new user of Echo Dot.  When I used it the first day, Alexa answered my questions.  I have not changed anything but now it will not answer any questions unless I push the action button.  Then it answers the question without fail.  I can tell that Alexa is hearing the question but does not respond.

I have tried muting the button on and on and logging in and out of my Amazon account.  I also have unplugged and plugged in the device.  What am I doing wrong or what else can I try?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 03:29:13 pm by Sunshine1 »

Laurel

Re: Echo Dot Will Not Answer My Questions, such as the Weather
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 03:56:34 pm »
From the website:  Make sure you use the included 9W power adapter. Other adapters (like cell phone chargers) do not provide enough power for Echo Dot to turn on and work correctly.
Press the Action button to see if Echo Dot responds to your requests.
When you connect your Echo Dot to a speaker (through Bluetooth or the audio cable), make sure your Echo Dot is at least three feet away from the speaker. When Echo Dot is close to external speakers, it may be more difficult for Echo Dot to hear the wake word and other requests.
Make sure your device is at least eight inches away from walls or other objects.
Make sure there is no background noise when you speak.
Speak naturally and clearly.

Good luck.