Echo & Alexa Forums

Zigbee Dimmer with Echo Plus

In2survive

Zigbee Dimmer with Echo Plus
« on: December 15, 2017, 09:28:35 pm »
I’m trying to find the best economical way to get my living room lights (2x4 lights ) connected to Echo Plus. So far I see two options:
1. Buy HUE GU10 lights (2 for CAD$59.99, so CAD$239)
2. Buy two Leviton Decora Smart Wi-Fi 600W Universal LED/Incandescent Dimmer (each for CAD$58.98)
I was hoping to find a zigbee Dimmer at a better price (around CAD$30) and pair it with the Echo Plus, but I guess I’m ahead of the time. There are other options, but all require a hub, and I already have the HUE Hub and the Echo Plus. I guess I should have gone with the Echo (not Plus) and get a smarthing Hub instead...
Anyhow any thoughts?

Mike echo

Re: Zigbee Dimmer with Echo Plus
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 09:10:12 pm »
I got a wink for for $100cdn. The bought zwave switches off amazon for around $50. I have about 8zwave so far. Almost paid for the wink. Zigbee switches are hard to get in Canada and the price doesn’t seem to move.

In2survive

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 12:04:48 am »
Yeah, I’m getting at the same conclusion. I think I will get the smartthings hub and go with zwave dimmers and sensors.

jeffberryhill

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 03:12:43 pm »
Go and purchase the Samsung SmartThings hub for $50us. Then buy GE Z-Wave plus wireless smart lighting controls. Dimmers, rockers etc etc all for around $32us. Finally for standard bulbs buy Sengled Element Classic A19 $10us ( or 8 for $75 )

SmartThings hub can control all of these and integrate with your Echo Plus.

Lastly depending on how old the Echo Plus is return it and buy the Echo 2nd generation. Far too many options for smart home if you stay away from Echo Plus Hub...

JB

asianrocker

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 03:32:27 pm »
Well, if I had not own an echo when they released this echo with hub, I would have bought it. I was looking to not buy any hub but well, gave in and bought a 2 bulb starter pack with hue bridge. I thought it's a really good deal up to now or ever.

Once you have any sort of hub, all you got to do is do a research on the one that you have. Echo plus is zigbee compatible. So I don't see any reason why any zigbee smart device can't work with it.

Like I did a research and found my hue bridge can work with other branded lights. So I am looking for a good deal now on a color bulb which is my next goal.

I re read your post. You have a hue bridge too and echo plus? Don't buy any more hub. Jeez. Don't waste anymore money. Sorry I don't know why I am so affected by people wasting their own money when it is not my business, LOL.

Just google hue bridge 3rd party bulbs. I got my eye on osram lightify and sylvania. Cheapest I found so far on color bulb is $20. Still pricey for me. I really hope I find a good deal before year ends. As with echo plus, any zigbee device should work with it.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 03:47:31 pm by asianrocker »

Offline kevb

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 03:46:47 pm »
There are two Zigbee protocols, and they are meant to be proprietary if the manufacturer wants them to be, so not all zigbee devices work with each other, or the Echo Plus. Z-wave, as jeffberryhill recommended, is standardized. z-wave devices need a hub (or computer with a zwave stick), and most hubs/ software work well with Echo. None of it is cheap, though!

asianrocker

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 03:53:01 pm »
There are two Zigbee protocols, and they are meant to be proprietary if the manufacturer wants them to be, so not all zigbee devices work with each other, or the Echo Plus. Z-wave, as jeffberryhill recommended, is standardized. z-wave devices need a hub (or computer with a zwave stick), and most hubs/ software work well with Echo. None of it is cheap, though!

If you know what you're doing, pretty sure you will find a way for it to work. Like I could have done the ha bridge or hass or faux wink way. I don't think you need a hub if you have these but I am not sure if it is secure. I am not an expert on IP security so I would rather not touch these DIY home automation softwares/homebrews.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 03:55:16 pm by asianrocker »

Offline kevb

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 05:30:07 pm »
It has to do with which protocol the radio in the Echo Plus runs, and the Zigbee device one wants to use. All zigbee devices are not the same protocol, and they are not all open. Some will require the hub built by their manufacturer, at least until they open their system. The best bet is to look at Amazon's website to see which zigbee devices will work with Echo Plus. Z-wave is standardized, so any system with a z-wave radio can control it.

In2survive

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 10:38:21 pm »
I returned the Echo Plus and got an Echo 2nd Generation instead. I was expecting a bit more from the bridge and shame on me for not doing more research around it. In any case, I still think it is a good idea to have a Zwave/Zigbee Hub, although I have the Hue Bridge... so one option would be adding the Zwave stick to a desktop.
The smart thing Hub has a big advantage to have a lot of the integration work done for you, which makes life easier. If I can find a smart things Hub at 50us here in Canada it is a no Brainer.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 12:28:31 pm by In2survive »