Echo & Alexa Forums

Intermittent response "That command doesn't work on that device..."

Weaselboy

Re: Intermittent response "That command doesn't work on that device..."
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 04:49:33 pm »
I'm happy to hear your setup is now working correctly.  That said however, it doesn't explain why many of us are still getting the "That command doesn't work with that device" response.  I really hope Amazon gets to the bottom of this quickly as I don't feel like I can depend on it at this time...

Chuck

It does seem related though given the symptoms and timing of all this. I passed on my fix to Amazon and they replied assuring me they have passed this along up the chain.

Cmaffia

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2016, 05:59:32 pm »
Having to alter the spoken command to exclude the word "lights" is a symptom.  Changing the group name to include "lights" is only a workaround and not a "fix".  Amazon broke something, plain and simple. 

Weaselboy

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2016, 07:20:40 pm »
Having to alter the spoken command to exclude the word "lights" is a symptom.  Changing the group name to include "lights" is only a workaround and not a "fix".  Amazon broke something, plain and simple.

I think we are in complete agreement and I don't see anything I said that would have made you believe otherwise.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 08:04:14 am »
As of Sunday night, everything appears to be working properly as it did prior to this problem.
I don't know what Amazon did to mess up everyone's home automation devices, but it seems that they either fixed it or undid what they were attempting to do.

Cmaffia

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 08:13:01 am »
Can you confirm that you can say "Alexa, turn off the living room lights" without Alexa saying that she can't find a group or device called "living room lights".  If that doesn't work then they didn't fix the problem 100%.  I was able to include the word "lights" in my sentence for all groups created prior to 1/7/16.  I will test when I get home today.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 08:14:52 am by Cmaffia »

ahwman

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 08:55:55 am »
I was still experiencing some hiccups Sunday evening with "That command doesn't work on that device".

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2016, 04:03:22 pm »
I was reading an article yesterday where there were some recent changes to the echo command.  for example, if you have a light called bedroom and you have been saying "alexa turn on the bedroom light" then it may not work anymore.  You have to say "alexa turn on bedroom" leaving off the light. 

http://betanews.com/2016/01/10/using-amazon-echo-to-control-your-home-theres-a-minor-change-you-need-to-know-about/

Cmaffia

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 07:04:33 am »
That's unfortunate.  It makes no sense actually.  It ruins the "star trek computer" experience completely because saying "lights" was so natural.   Thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 07:22:07 am by Cmaffia »

Cmaffia

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 07:23:31 pm »
Looks like someone came to their senses at Amazon and backed out the code that screwed everything up about a week ago.  Also I can now use the word "lights" in a sentence without altering the names of my groups as suggested. "Everything's under control, situation normal".
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 08:05:00 am by Cmaffia »

waccolon

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2016, 07:29:49 am »
Alexa Error That Command Doesn't Work

My name is Willie Colón (Cologne) www.williecolon.com @williecolon facebook.com/thewilliecolon I have solved the Alexa device problem!  Please get back to me if it works for you WACCO1@LIVE.COM. Get a piece of paper to write this down...  Make sure your echo is connected and working. Tel Alexa "Discover devices" DONE!

Msmall1950

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2017, 03:17:05 pm »
I am having this exact problem. New to Smart home and Echo. I've have about half my home setup, and it's frustrating when you get "that command doesn't work on that device...", or Echo & Dot awakes on the command and then goes back to sleep almost immediately. I will be following this thread closely and trying some of the suggestions made here. Thanks to all for you input and help.

M. Small

mike27oct

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2017, 03:46:49 pm »
Restart ALL your Alexa devices by unplugging them for 5 minutes and then plug them back in.  If after they are rebooted, check everything again.  If all work fine, great, and if not, problem is likely with devices you are trying to control.  So, check forums for those devices.