Echo & Alexa Forums

Dual-Band Wi-Fi Recommended Settings

cashdude1971

Dual-Band Wi-Fi Recommended Settings
« on: December 13, 2017, 02:40:28 pm »
Is it recommended to split dual-band modems into two separate SSIDs...one for 2.4Ghz and another for 5.0Ghz to help with congestion, Also I am wondering which "band" the Echo Show and Dot (2nd gen) should be? I have seen that they perform better on 2.4Ghz.

The issue that I am experiencing lately is that I have a lot of "smart" devices on my Wi-Fi network. I originally split my SSIDs. What seems to be happening is the Show and Dot on the 5.0Ghz SSID loose connection daily and switch over to the 2.4Ghz radio and I cannot get them to reconnect back to the 5.0Ghz (says network out of range).

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to setup my Echo devices to my wi-fi network?

mike27oct

Re: Dual-Band Wi-Fi Recommended Settings
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 06:38:33 pm »
You need to read up on purpose and reasons for using both bands.  I use both bands,  5G was developed to be a faster speed signal necessary for streaming video. it has less range, though.  2.4G is the earlier wireless signal, and it has greater range but is less suitable for video stream. So,

Go back to two SSIDS (named XXX_5G and XXX_2.4G to differentiate them.  Put any video streaming devices such as Show on 5G and phones and tables; anything that can stream video on 5G.  Put Echos, etc (any audio only devices) on 2,4G. This is what I do.

You sound like your 5G is out of range for some devices, so you may end up having all on 2.4G.

The only way to extend range is to use a range extender, but that can be tricky to setup for sume.  I have one for each band.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 07:01:23 pm »
You might consider getting the Google WiFi System. Both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands are considered the same network and operate on a single SSID. I've been using the Google WiFi System for a few months now. It replaced a top of the line Asus RT-AC87U.

https://www.amazon.com/Google-Wifi-system-set-replacement/dp/B01MAW2294
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 07:04:00 pm by jwlv »

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 09:01:53 pm »
You might consider getting the Google WiFi System. Both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands are considered the same network and operate on a single SSID.

https://www.amazon.com/Google-Wifi-system-set-replacement/dp/B01MAW2294

Any dual band router with a single SSID is considered the "same network"  How could it be otherwise since a device connecting to it can get on either band, or both?  So, OP can go back to router with both bands having same SSID.

I notice that Comcast has been setting up their routers with separate SSIDs for each band for a few years now.  Meanwhile, I like to set my Asue router as two separate bands, and have separate band range extenders.. 

malliekm

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 02:09:37 am »
I have a NetGear AC1700 (R6400) at one end of the house and a NetGear wifi extender (don't recall the model) at the other end.  Both are dual band.  I followed Mike's advice at first and all was well but since have accumulated 5 smart outlets and a total of 7 smart speakers, along with the usual smart phones and tablets.  I was afraid of network congestion.  I've read countless posts from people saying they've moved their Google Homes/Minis to their 5Ghz band so I decided to try it.  I can detect a small improvement in how long it takes them to respond.  I've not noticed any dropping of signal.  I moved 3 of the 7 smart speakers to 5Ghz band.  I could move one of the Dots also but it seems like it's harder to do than it is on the GHs iirc.  With the wifi extender, I suppose I can move one of the GHs at the opposite end of the house too.  I'll give that a try.  I have no neighbors so there's no congestion there and maybe my router and extender could more than handle my devices but I just keep reading more and more advice that says to move the GHs over to 5Ghz if you can.

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 01:04:59 pm »
It so happens I have my two GH devices on 5G, and my Amazon and TP smart plugs on 2.4G. but it is not to reduce network congestion, which for most of us is NOT a problem. It is because the GH devices are closer to 5G signal.  There is no real reason to put GH devices on 5G to reduce congestion.  A GH is an audio-only device and will work equally well on 2.4G.

Jeff29

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 08:18:03 pm »
"Band" implies separate communications (both RF frequency and network).  It's not possible to have one SSID for multiple bands.  You can have multiple bands with the same SSID but each SSID is discrete.

The scary part about Google is that what they are telling customers with their "one SSID" message is that you [most-likely] can't access them individually.  I like naming mine exactly as mike27oct stated:

two SSIDS (named XXX_5G and XXX_2.4G to differentiate them

malliekm

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 08:33:47 pm »
My Google Homes are named the that way as well...thanks to Mike :)
And that's basically all I know about SSIDs lol  In fact all of my AIs (2 Dots,
2 GHs and 3 Minis) are set up on 4 SSIDs???  2.4G, 5G, 2.4G_EXT and
5G_EXT  Or maybe the EXTs aren't separate.  I dunno!

mike27oct

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 08:50:38 pm »
>>> "Band" implies separate communications (both RF frequency and network).  It's not possible to have one SSID for multiple bands.  You can have multiple bands with the same SSID but each SSID is discrete.

Not true, you can have two bands on one network  Many routers are described as dual band routers.  I even transmit data on one band (2.4G) and receive (play it) on the other band (5G) e.g. a movie playing on a wireless drive to watch on a tablet.  This makes things work a little faster by separating the path of the sent and received data and increasing throughput of the router.  BUT, they are both on the same network, and the router can be accessed by either band..

Yes, both bands are discrete if there is one SSID for both, the devices connecting to wireless network uses the one band that best works at any given time if not differentiated by using separate SSIDs..
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 09:13:24 pm by mike27oct »

Jeff29

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 01:40:00 am »
Not true, you can have two bands on one network

HAH!  You made me re-read my post to make sure I hadn't made that erroneous statement.  ;)

Separate RF frequencies and separate networks don't preclude the networks being combined within the router portion of the WAP.  You may find a device that doesn't expose this [for user-config] but they definitively start out discrete (assuming you don't count the antenna as a single channel--and it typically isn't given standard doc denotes discrete channels after de-mux).  After that its configuration (meaning firware- or software-driven config) unless, as in the case of the aforementioned Google device, it's locked and/or hidden away.

I suspect I can reasonably state that most WAPs support combining or separating target network by receiver frequency (but may be proven wrong given cheaper engineering and public acceptance of wifi for in-home use).  You can absolutely configure multiple bands onto a single network but I would advise checking specs carefully before making a new purchase to confirm the support required.

Anyone reading this that doesn't understand here's your clue:  You are probably purchasing for home use and will never need anything covered here (in this specific post) as you simply need wifi connected to your internet connection.

mike27oct

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 02:22:04 am »
When younger, I was trained for over a year as an ET by our USAF; worked with a lot of electronic stuff, including radar transmitters and receivers (i.e. RF stuff) radios, computers etc for over six years, and have been involved with electronics for 50+ years as a hobbyist, and have to say I had a hard time following your discussion.

All I can say is:  "Whatever you say".  I'm not biting.