Echo & Alexa Forums

Set-up if connection lost to do something.

gernapious

Set-up if connection lost to do something.
« on: January 04, 2016, 07:35:28 am »
So, I was wondering.  99% of the time, if my Echo loses connection to the internet it is because my internet connection crashed.  I use Comcast which means I need to reboot my router and modem about once a month due to it just crashing.  Is there a way to set-up the echo to automatically turn off power to an WiFi enabled power outlet and then turn it back on 15 second later if it loses connection to the internet?

If the echo can't do this, is there a different product on the mark you know of that can do that?

fstbusa

Re: Set-up if connection lost to do something.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 08:26:12 am »
does it help to reboot your router more often other than when the connection crashes?  You could put your router on a digital christmas light timer and have it turn off at 2am until 2:05am every day in hopes that your connection is more stable??

Just an idea.

gernapious

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 09:40:50 am »
That isn't a horrible idea at all.  The impact would be incredibly low to being down like that.  I could try that and see if it then stops it from occurring randomly during the month. 

Now that I think about it, I bet something like a raspberry pi could do the trick with little effort.  Maybe I shouldn't be looking at the Echo doing this.

Thanks for the chain of thought.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 02:18:21 pm »
As I wrote in a different thread here last night, it is a good idea to reboot one's router/modem at least monthly (including devices connected to it) to eradicate any gremlins causing known and unknown issues.

I, too, have Comcast, and it rarely goes out.  When it does I can tell because both wireless AND wired devices stop working.

Most issues with wireless devices are because of less than optimum placement of wireless device relative to where the router is located.  A device like an Echo is most always sitting in the same place, and most of the time it can work fine.  But, wireless strength is ever changing, and if it drops below a certain level for even a moment an Echo can loose the wireless signal. 

The solution is to get the Echo (or any wireless device) closer to the router so signal strength is consistently stronger.  In my case, my Echo is downstairs and router is upstairs so the Echo and Chromecast etc. located downstairs need a little help in the form of a Wi-Fi range extender downstairs directly under where the router is.  Bingo, a stronger Wi-Fi signal downstairs.  I use two range extenders; one for 2.4G and one for 5G signals.  Although my router is one of the top-rated ones, it is a big enough house and range extenders are necessary to eliminate or lessen weak Wi-Fi signal areas around the perimeters of the house.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 02:20:42 pm by mike27oct »

vegasguy

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 03:27:06 pm »
A long long time ago in a land far far away there used to be a telephone switch that if your computer or device isn't responding and you are away you can call your house and wait 10 rings and enter a touch tone code and the telephone switch will power off / on the device or computer that's connected to it. This was popular 20 or 30 years ago when hobbyists ran BBSes at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk