Echo & Alexa Forums

tip - Create Recipe book

tip - Create Recipe book
« on: January 01, 2016, 09:58:58 pm »
I have been reading in different Amazon Echo forums that one use users are wanting is the ability to use recipes.  It would be great to have a recipe read to you that can be paused as needed.   The following is my suggestion of how it could be done.

First you must download audio files for different recipes from different websites or create your own. Be sure to read the sites' terms to make sure there would not be any copyright violation. Most will allow for personal use.  There are various ways of creating your own from using text to speech if you do not want to use your own voice or just reading it yourself and record. Each recipe must have its own mp3 file.

Once you have a collection of recipes, you can create a menu which would work like chapters. For example. create a mp3 and name it beef,  then, add the titles of all your beef mp3 recipes to it. When you command the echo to play beef. It will read all the titles of your beef recipes until you hear the one you want, for example, if you want beef casserole but not sure what you called or just browsing. first command the echo to play the beef audio file.  When it comes to beef casserole, just pause or cancel and command the echo to play the beef casserole audio file. Do the exact same steps for other categories like pork, chicken, finger food, snacks, desserts, etc...

Once the mp3 files are created, upload them to your Amazon music account.  It is as easy as that.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:13:47 pm by renegade600 »

ScarlettPhoenix

Re: tip - Create Recipe book
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 04:17:43 pm »
This is amazing for those elderly fantastic cooks who are getting up there in years but can't cook anymore. I'm so glad I forced my mom to write down her prized recipes before I left home and got married. She's gone now and I still have them. Wouldn't it be wonderful for me to have them as mp3 files for my grandchildren or daughter-in-law?

Hawaiinow

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 04:32:12 pm »
Now that Echo can read kindle books, has anyone tried making an ebook recipe book?

Cat_LeDevic

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 03:20:24 pm »
Pretty much everything else but! From vampires to S4s, and EVEN one on how to stop cats from peeing on your furniture lolol! A recipe book would be simple, once the formatting was decided on. I actually did write a short one (in Word only) many years ago, though not for the public.

Were I you, I'd be asking the fam! Mom's recipes. Dad's family's - on up the line. Oh! here's a thought - make it interactive. John Q could add (dictate) his own recipes to this book. Get pics of the finished dish in there, too. Folks would love that... and while you're at it, have someone do little YouTubes of whoever is testing the recipes (cooking.) You release those every now and then, leading up to publication. Man that would be FUN wouldn't it!