Echo & Alexa Forums

Playing specific internet radio strems

Surface

Playing specific internet radio strems
« on: December 10, 2017, 09:57:13 am »
I ordered an Echo 2 today. I listen to a lot of wordwide radio stations using an old Roku radio streamer.
Can I program streams that I want to hear in any app so that the Echo will play them?
thanks
Steve

mike27oct

Re: Playing specific internet radio strems
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 12:59:21 am »
I listen to a few worldwide stations, from Oztralia, Europe, etc.  All you need to do is use TuneIn radio on Dot and request the station you want, and then you can add it to the Favorites list on Alexa app.

jborchel

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 11:58:12 am »
If I create five favorite stations on Tune-In or IHeart Radio how do I verbally ask for each station? Example: Station 1 KNBR, Station 2 KFI, Station 3 KSCO, Station 4 Pandora Shuffle. I want to say "Alexa, play Station 1". Or "Alexa, play Station 4".

Can I create this list on my Chromebook or can I do it on the Echo?

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 02:32:17 pm »
If I create five favorite stations on Tune-In or IHeart Radio how do I verbally ask for each station? Example: Station 1 KNBR, Station 2 KFI, Station 3 KSCO, Station 4 Pandora Shuffle. I want to say "Alexa, play Station 1". Or "Alexa, play Station 4".

Can I create this list on my Chromebook or can I do it on the Echo?

that part is tricky, you have to use call letters but alexa will not always get it right.  you may have to try different ways to get your specific radio stations.   you cannot program it like a car radio at this time and use numbers install of call letters. 

jborchel

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 03:06:21 pm »
That's too bad. It seems like a basic requirement. I do it the way you describe now and you have to complicate the command by giving her both the name of the station, like KGO, and the number, 810. She seems to be able to put those two parameters together.At the same time though, I say "Alexa, Station Shuffle on Pandora" and she has no problem going to my shuffle I have set up in Pandora. I wonder if she would respond to "Alexa, play Station KGO on Iheart". However, I still like the ability to say "Alexa, play Station 1". Maybe that ability will come down the road.

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 05:27:19 pm »
That's too bad. It seems like a basic requirement. I do it the way you describe now and you have to complicate the command by giving her both the name of the station, like KGO, and the number, 810. She seems to be able to put those two parameters together.At the same time though, I say "Alexa, Station Shuffle on Pandora" and she has no problem going to my shuffle I have set up in Pandora. I wonder if she would respond to "Alexa, play Station KGO on Iheart". However, I still like the ability to say "Alexa, play Station 1". Maybe that ability will come down the road.

I think a lot of users would love that ability.  It would save a lot of frustration and disappointments.   

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 07:10:52 pm »
Not sure so many have issues asking Alexa to play from tune in.

I listen to what Alexa responds, and next time I ask for the station using that response. 
Two examples:

When I first listened to KCSM, Alexa replied playing Jazz 91.  Now I just say Alexa play Jazz 91 on Tunein.

Another weird example:  When I ask to play KUSC , Alexa replies by pronouncing the call letters (rhymes with tusk)  so when I request the station I also pronounce the call letters, too!

Offline jwlv

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 11:18:18 pm »
If you have an address or ZIP code set up in your Alexa app, you can say "play 102.7 fm" and it will play the local station on that frequency.

For example, you are in Los Angeles and your app is set to ZIP code 90005 (near downtown LA). You ask Alexa to play 102.7 fm. Alexa will play KIIS FM which is the LA station on 102.7 fm.