Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Show..Alexa wont control smart devices

mrichi

Echo Show..Alexa wont control smart devices
« on: December 09, 2017, 07:34:28 pm »
I have (3) Honeywell Stats and wifi plug....I see the devices in the "smart Home" section of the Alexa app.  But she wont control any of them.  Says"sorry I didn't find...."  and yes I'm new to the Echo and this forum.  Thanks for your help

Re: Echo Show..Alexa wont control smart devices
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 08:21:25 pm »
if you have not done so, try installing the honeywell skill. 

K9Ghost

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 01:38:06 pm »
I have (3) Honeywell Stats and wifi plug....I see the devices in the "smart Home" section of the Alexa app.  But she wont control any of them.  Says"sorry I didn't find...."  and yes I'm new to the Echo and this forum.  Thanks for your help

Well a bit of bad news folks. I was having the same issue. I have an Echo device in just about every room of my house with my Echo Show residing in the kitchen. I can turn on and off all my smart devices, plugs, lights etc from any of my Echo's or Dots but when I ask my Echo Show to turn (for example) on or off my living room lights I get an "I'm sorry, I can't find living room lights" response. I ended up calling tech support at to my surprise they said that the Echo Show is unable to control smart devices..WTH!!??. I did a little test and asked one of my Dots to tell me my downstairs temperature (nest) and it did so without a hiccup. I walked to the kitchen and asked the Echo Show the same question, "I'm sorry I couldn't find downstairs temperature" was the response. I'm shocked that what seems a very simple feature available in all the other lower priced Echos is not included in the Echo Show (at this time). Let's hope for an update but for now, they said they have no information that it will be. They passed my concerns on to the developers. For now, I just have to suffer through walking into another room to control smart devices.  There is a small workaround. There is an App called "Reverb". You sync it with your Amazon account and it essentially turns your phone into another Echo device. It's nice because you can control any smart device you have synced with your account but you can also voice control them from across town or across the globe as long as you have a cell signal. And in case anyone thinks about deleting skills and re-adding them, or trying discovery again..it simply does not work yet so don't waste your time. Hopefully we get an alert that it's been enabled in a future update

jweinel

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 01:23:50 pm »
While I don't have the devices mentioned above, I can report that the Echo Show does control my home control devices using the Insteon Skill and AV devices using the Logitech Harmony Skill.

Offline kevb

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 03:07:29 pm »
My Echo Show works fine with Hue, Harmony, etc. Not sure why yours didn't work, but I think the support person may have meant that the Show is unable to control smart devices directly, as opposed to the Echo Plus, which is able to do so. You may want to restart your Show and see if that helps.

asianrocker

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 08:33:46 am »
 K9Ghost if you are not in US maybe that's why you were informed that. AFAIK, echo show can control smart home devices as noted by other posters. I use reverb though and was not aware you can use it outside your house. Maybe they made an update. I am pretty sure it can't do that when I was using it. I uninstall and reinstall that app many times. LOL.

GA

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 11:58:29 am »
As stated above the Echo Show does control different devices. You mentioned Honeywell. I installed a thermostat, and show on Christmas and both work together fine. You will need to register the Thermostat with the Honeywell app, but all works fine. It is also controlling TP-Link Lights and EWeLink wall switch.

dragon123

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 01:08:39 pm »

Well a bit of bad news folks. I was having the same issue. I have an Echo device in just about every room of my house with my Echo Show residing in the kitchen. I can turn on and off all my smart devices, plugs, lights etc from any of my Echo's or Dots but when I ask my Echo Show to turn (for example) on or off my living room lights I get an "I'm sorry, I can't find living room lights" response.

I had something similar. It seemed like the show went away on it's own 'cloud' or something: it showed as 'offline' on my pc, shopping list wasn't accurate/was old, and 'can't find ...' as well.

I reset the show and made sure it was on the same wifi as my dots (it was on the 5GHz wifi, the dots are on my 2.4 GHz wifi), and voila, all problems went away  :) YMMV.