Echo & Alexa Forums

Change Echo hostname on network?

Change Echo hostname on network?
« on: January 01, 2016, 06:34:34 am »
If I wanted to change the Echo's hostname on the network could I do that via the App? Has anyone done it?

Thanks!

Update- I asked Amazon and the answer is that no, you can't change the hostname right now but they will pass the idea on to the developer team so the feature could be added in the future.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 02:44:43 pm by PaulKTF »
-Paul.

peidave

Re: Change Echo hostname on network?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 10:46:09 am »
Hey, 3 years later have you had an update on this ? I've been looking and trying so hard and can't find a way to do it, I'm sure there has to be a way of changing device id / hostname appearance in networks. It'd be silly if they passed it along 3 years ago to developer team and it wasn't implemented yet. Android devices can do it. And i know they haven't been working on Voice Recog because when I tell alexa to turn the heater on she always comes back with a "device" she can't find lol.

Re: Change Echo hostname on network?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 05:05:28 pm »
Hey, 3 years later have you had an update on this ? I've been looking and trying so hard and can't find a way to do it, I'm sure there has to be a way of changing device id / hostname appearance in networks. It'd be silly if they passed it along 3 years ago to developer team and it wasn't implemented yet. Android devices can do it. And i know they haven't been working on Voice Recog because when I tell alexa to turn the heater on she always comes back with a "device" she can't find lol.

I don't think it would be silly.   there could be a reason why it is not implemented yet.   there are a lot of features alexa could have but don't.     Most likely they have a priority list and new features just don't come overnight.