Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa for the car

Bhavin

Alexa for the car
« on: December 08, 2017, 04:57:02 pm »
Hi,
We are working on bringing Alexa to the car. If you are interested there more details here.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/muse-alexa-voice-assistant-for-cars-car/reft/17676316/e?utm_source=social&utm_campaign=e

Disclaimer: I work for the company that is building this product. I don't intend to spam this, or other forums, but I felt this was pertinent information for an active Alexa community.

asianrocker

Re: Alexa for the car
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 05:12:32 pm »
Sorry to disappoint you but I won't pay however cheap you sell your device coz I don't need it. I will just use GA on my phone and it's freeeeeeee.  8)

Bhavin

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 05:24:26 pm »
As you should :). If you are happy with GA on the phone, no reason to change that. The problem we are trying to address is for folks who like Alexa and want it, along with wake-word detection (and integration with their car stereo) in the car.

Drwoodr

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 08:32:16 pm »
Bahvin, I almost ordered a couple of these, but then I read posts of people who put an echo dot in their car and the issues with it not automatically connecting to the iPhone’s hotspot. Users had to manually open the hotspot to get it to connect every time.  Is that the case with Muse? I like the idea, but wonder how automatic it is when you get into your vehicle.

Bhavin

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 11:05:53 pm »
Hi Drwoodr,
This is one of the key problems we solve with Muse. Muse does not require a hot spot at all. It does require a data plan that is used by the Muse companion app.  Hope that helps.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 12:58:30 am »
Bahvin, I almost ordered a couple of these, but then I read posts of people who put an echo dot in their car and the issues with it not automatically connecting to the iPhone’s hotspot. Users had to manually open the hotspot to get it to connect every time.  Is that the case with Muse? I like the idea, but wonder how automatic it is when you get into your vehicle.

I have an Echo Dot in the car. The WiFi hotspot I have is the ZTE Mobley with AT&T. Unfortunately AT&T stopped selling the Mobley any more and I think they also discontinued the Connected Car data plans.

asianrocker

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 04:58:12 am »

I have an Echo Dot in the car. The WiFi hotspot I have is the ZTE Mobley with AT&T. Unfortunately AT&T stopped selling the Mobley any more and I think they also discontinued the Connected Car data plans.

I don't think you need a Connected Car data plan to use this. It works like how your GPS uses your data plan, I guess.

Drwoodr

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 09:51:59 am »
Hi Drwoodr,
This is one of the key problems we solve with Muse. Muse does not require a hot spot at all. It does require a data plan that is used by the Muse companion app.  Hope that helps.
So how does this work, muse connects to your phone using Bluetooth rather than the hot spot?

asianrocker

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 10:13:33 am »
Well I am not the OP, but no, BT has nothing to do with data plan. And BT do not connect you to wifi. Like I said if you use GPS on your phone, like for navigation, it uses your data plan. I believe that's how this device works too.

Drwoodr

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 04:40:04 pm »
Well I am not the OP, but no, BT has nothing to do with data plan. And BT do not connect you to wifi. Like I said if you use GPS on your phone, like for navigation, it uses your data plan. I believe that's how this device works too.
I know BT won’t conect to WiFi, but how does the Muse connect to a data plan? If you need a stand-alone data plan for the Muse, it’s a non-starter. So if you don’t have a built-in WiFi hotspot in your car, it has to connect to your phone for the data. And it’s not like gps at all. Alexa requires a connection to the internet, everything is in the cloud. So it’s either a BT connection to the phone or a wire. And if BT, then it would most likely interfere with your BT connection to your car’s audio.

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 08:00:15 am »
I know BT won’t conect to WiFi, but how does the Muse connect to a data plan? If you need a stand-alone data plan for the Muse, it’s a non-starter. So if you don’t have a built-in WiFi hotspot in your car, it has to connect to your phone for the data. And it’s not like gps at all. Alexa requires a connection to the internet, everything is in the cloud. So it’s either a BT connection to the phone or a wire. And if BT, then it would most likely interfere with your BT connection to your car’s audio.

It doesn't say you need a stand-alone data plan... it says you need a data plan that will be used through your companion App (ie cell phone or tablet)... so nothing new to buy as far as data plans unless you are using a data plan that barely gets you by per month already... I am on the Grandfathered-in Apple Unlimited data plan... so no new stuff needed hereat all... but my understanding is that you HAVE to download and install a companion app on your "other" device, which will access your already subscribed Data plan, whatever that plan is. So A Smart phone is needed, just like with a lot of the Echo stuff...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

Drwoodr

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 09:04:02 am »
Original question was how does the Muse connect to the phone, BT or wired?

asianrocker

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 11:22:38 am »
I click the OP's link, it says just connect via BT. I presume you can connect it wired too if they have aux in muse. And yes according to linked site video, you actually hear it on your car speaker even if you connect it on BT. You should click the OP's link, LOL.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 11:24:34 am by asianrocker »

t2jock

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 07:20:33 am »
Hi,
We are working on bringing Alexa to the car. If you are interested there more details here.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/muse-alexa-voice-assistant-for-cars-car/reft/17676316/e?utm_source=social&utm_campaign=e

Disclaimer: I work for the company that is building this product. I don't intend to spam this, or other forums, but I felt this was pertinent information for an active Alexa community.

I have ordered four of these and am hoping that you'll deliver in time for Christmas.  My biggest concern is whether or not you can discriminate voice commands with all of the background noise in a car.

malliekm

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 12:42:52 pm »
I am a Google Girl but started  with Alexa and still have a couple.  Any chance you'll expand to include a Google Home device?