Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

amazon and google duking it out

amazon and google duking it out
« on: December 05, 2017, 04:42:57 pm »
look like google is taking youtube off of show again but this time they have added the fire devices, they will be taking youtube off of them the first of the year. 

https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/05/google-is-pulling-youtube-from-echo-show-and-fire-tv-as-feud-with-amazon-continues/?ncid=mobilenavtrend

malliekm

Re: amazon and google duking it out
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 01:15:41 am »
I'm blissfully happy in my Google bubble.  If I want a Google product, I'll buy it from WM, Target, Best Buy, Newegg, Google Store, or Lowes.  I feel for the Echo Show and Fire users tho.  That has to hurt :(

asianrocker

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 03:25:36 am »
It really would not be big deal for people who know what they are doing and know how to follow instructions online. I had same 'dilemma' on my cheap tablet and it's android!! I think you (meaning amazon, etc) have to pay google to have it in your device.

Someone will always find a work around. Like how my google product less tablet was able to get one, I put it there myself.

It's a hassle for me. But ya most people will be deterred to buy it if they feel they can't live without youtube but whatever, Amazon is cheap then, not to pay google.

I thought the Amazon owner is a billionaire, but well, that's how they get richer, I guess.

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 07:37:18 am »
Most of the Side Loaded items are fairly easy now, as folks post links to their specific "way" to get it to happen and downloads that actually work. You can go on you tube on a computer and get the step by step to get things like this to work. I side loaded Google Play Store so I could get the current app for my Philips Hue lights and it was a breeze. It is not available through the amazon app store. I suspect the same of the You Tube app as well... gotta have the app to download before you can use the YouTube app... I don't really care to youtube through Alexa, or play music from it, so a lot of the things that are discussed about Alexa Shortcomings is lost on me. Home automation is the only thing I use it for, aside from TV/Video.Just not for music.

2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 11:41:21 am »
Most of the Side Loaded items are fairly easy now, as folks post links to their specific "way" to get it to happen and downloads that actually work. You can go on you tube on a computer and get the step by step to get things like this to work. I side loaded Google Play Store so I could get the current app for my Philips Hue lights and it was a breeze. It is not available through the amazon app store. I suspect the same of the You Tube app as well... gotta have the app to download before you can use the YouTube app... I don't really care to youtube through Alexa, or play music from it, so a lot of the things that are discussed about Alexa Shortcomings is lost on me. Home automation is the only thing I use it for, aside from TV/Video.Just not for music.

I am like you, I mainly got the echo for home automation.  I very seldom listen to music on it.  Its only news and weather.