Echo & Alexa Forums

What to get?

hollykins2

What to get?
« on: December 31, 2015, 05:24:19 pm »
Hello all!

A new Echo owner here.  (or I will be as soon as it ships sometime in January)

I'm trying to research to figure out what I should get as far as automation.  For a start I'd like to be able to control lights.  Off/on, dim, etc.     The Philips Hue seems to be a decent bet.

Not sure what I'd like to do beyond that as I'm pretty much a newbie to all this stuff.   I might want a Smartthings Hub eventually to control some appliances?  Coffee maker?   

Right now, it's the lights I want to do first.   Am I on base starting with the Hue kit?

Deane Johnson

Re: What to get?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 05:54:18 pm »
The Echo with the Smart Things Hub, controlling Z-Wave is awesome.  I also have a couple of lamps being controlled by the Insteon Hub with Insteon Lamp Dimmers and it works well, but I'm more excited about the Smart Things Hub along with it's future possibilities.

I also use it to control my Philips Hue Hub and it works well, especially if you want to get into the color changing bulbs, but otherwise it's not as expansive as the Smart Things Hub.

I think you might call me a Hubaholic.

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 08:17:03 pm »
something to consider.  If I had to do it again, I would go with wall switches instead of bulbs.  I already had connected bulbs when I purchased the echo.  The reason is, if you have company or guests, they will tend to use the switches to turn lights on and off.  If you have connected bulbs you always have to make sure they are turned on before you can use alexa.  That is not something you have to worry about when you have wall switches.   

hollykins2

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 10:09:19 am »
Thanks for the answers.

Lights by voice through Echo will work well for me as I am disabled.   I can get around, it's just better for me to be able to control it that way.   

I would love to get some of the color bulbs as I would enjoy the mood lighting aspect of it.   Listen to some nice music with dimmed colored lights.  Sounds like heaven.

I'll be living by myself in an apartment so probably can't get too crazy with wiring things.

Can't wait for my Echo to get here.  Says it'll arrive on the 22nd.   I've been reading all the blogs and tips, and then found this forum.  This is going to be fun.    :)

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 07:28:41 pm »
I use almost all wall switches with a few exceptions. I just can't justify spending that kind of money on bulbs that will burn out and need to be replaced eventually. And with wall switches, I can use any light bulbs I want. I'm partial to Feit Electronics LED bulbs and I'm happy that Costco has them on sale for 3 for $9.

fstbusa

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 12:11:58 pm »
I use almost all switches with the exception of a few smart bulbs in some lamps.  The reason being is it still gives you local control of the lights if someone switches them off and also if your internet/network goes down, you can still turn on the lights.  The switch gives you the ability to control them the way you want and still be able to switch them on/off locally if need be.

I have the smartthings hub along with 6 switches, a few smart bulbs, garage door control and a nest thermostat and have automated all of it.  The only thing preventing me from purchasing more switches is $$$$.... going to purchase a few switches a year and continue to incorporate my entire home.