Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo rename contact

fecho

Echo rename contact
« on: December 01, 2017, 11:04:02 am »
Hi,

I'm new to the alexa echo and am loving it so far. One very useful feature I found is the ability for my daughter to call me easily. The only issue I find is that she has to say my full name for alexa to recognize me and call the app on my phone. This is tricky as my name isn't the easiest to recognize or pronounce so is bit of a hit and miss and I would like to make more natural for my daughter
So is there anyway for me to change the conact in Alexa to "Dad" so when my daughter says "Alexa, call dad" it calls me. Will be so much easier for her

Thanks in advance for all your help

asianrocker

Re: Echo rename contact
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 01:57:57 pm »
yes. Edit your name on your phone. I would assume it will reflect on echo list. Sometimes I find it amusing that people think everything has to be a new way when dealing with echo, fact is, it's not.

fecho

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 10:38:13 am »
yes. Edit your name on your phone. I would assume it will reflect on echo list. Sometimes I find it amusing that people think everything has to be a new way when dealing with echo, fact is, it's not.

Thanks, when you say the name on the phone do you mean the name registered on my device (phone) or the contact?
Would still like to maintain the name on my phone as my full name but somehow associate the name associated with alexa as dad
But if it needs to be a name change on my phone then so be it.

If I do change the name on my phone then will the alexa app pick it up automatically? How will the echo device pick up this name change

Apologies this is still a bit new to me and I must say the app isn't all that great. Doesn't cater to noobs like me ;-)

Erurainon

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 07:29:22 am »
Could you not create a second entry of the name you want and keep the original one too?

Jerome

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 03:48:40 am »
Could you not create a second entry of the name you want and keep the original one too?
Brilliant, this did the trick !
I created a new contact in my address book (Android 8.1) simply called Dad and gave it my cell phone number only.
Now my daughters can call my cell from home simply by saying "Alexa, call Dad".
Thank you  ;)