Echo & Alexa Forums

New User Here...Comments and Questions

Jack North

New User Here...Comments and Questions
« on: December 02, 2015, 03:31:45 pm »
First, I've had the Echo for only 24 hours, so I'm still learning, though some of the things don't seem to be intuitive. But I've got a comment and a question...

Comment: I kinda wish it was a battery operated device...easily transportable to different rooms while not interrupting my listening. I suppose that would jack the price up a bit, but still...

Question: I haven't quite figured out how to listen to podcasts on this thing (other than simply using it as a bluetooth speaker with my phone.) Am I missing something?

aa6rv

Re: New User Here...Comments and Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 10:52:12 am »
I don't see it working to great with iTunes yet and Podcasts.  They say they will always be working to improve it's abilities, but right now that isn't really one of its features.

David

Jack North

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 10:02:05 am »
Thanks, aa6rv. So podcasts are only (theoretically) available via iTunes? I haven't tried that. I was trying via tunein radio...sorta. (I'm not really familiar with tunein, and only signed up after getting Echo.) I'll give iTunes a shot and see if I have any better luck than you.

George Jetson

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 02:35:34 pm »

Question: I haven't quite figured out how to listen to podcasts on this thing (other than simply using it as a bluetooth speaker with my phone.) Am I missing something?

Jack, You can find several podcasts by opening up the Echo App.  Select the Menu then select TuneIn.  There you will be able to search for the podcast you're interested in.  Hope this helps.

ctrlbrk

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 02:56:55 pm »
Also a ton of podcasts via iHeartRadio thru Echo

Sent from my phone

Jack North

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 08:43:11 pm »
Thanks for your responses, all. Kinda getting the hang of finding podcasts, but only on the Alexa app via IHerat and Tunein. Podcast episode selection not great at this point.

After playing with Echo a bit I'm still a little annoyed at some of the (seemingly) simple things it misunderstands; I asked it to "play 1950's rock and roll from Prime," for example, and it/she was totally lost. (After several unsuccessful tries I got the proper result with something like "play Prime Music playlist oldies rock and roll." Guess I just have to keep working on the proper way to phrase a request!) One time I asked for rock and roll music and Alexa verified that I wanted rock and roll, then promptly played an old Stan Getz jazz tune!! Arrrgh!

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 01:03:31 am »
First of all. no knocks on Stan Getz here, please.  ;)

Secondly, find the list of Alexa commands in one of the forum categories here and make a copy.  Also, train your Alexa to understand your speech using the training exercise, and lastly, the Echo is not perfect, and only slightly smarter than a good clock radio with about the same musical quality.  Even so, I like mine for what it can do.

Jack North

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 10:26:38 am »
First of all. no knocks on Stan Getz here, please.  ;)

Hahaha, I like Stan Getz, Mike27oct! In fact, jazz in general makes up at least half of my music library. I guess I didn't make it clear that my "aaargh" comment was not directed at the specific selection, but at the fact that it wasn't rock and roll.

I've done the voice training and have looked at the lists of commands...I totally understand that Echo is not perfect and that it is still evolving. Also, I haven't even begun to explore (except very peripherally) some of the other commands, such as shopping lists, calendar...but, I also think I like it overall.

Okay, now I'm gonna go ask Echo for some Stan Getz...and see if I get somebody like Jerry Lee Lewis!