Echo & Alexa Forums

Google Home can now handle two commands at once

Jerome

Google Home can now handle two commands at once
« on: November 30, 2017, 10:32:01 am »
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/11/30/16719192/google-home-two-commands-issue

Google Home devices can now process and complete two commands at once. As first reported by CNET and independently confirmed by The Verge, Google Home users can ask their device to do multiple things. So, for example, you could say, "Hey, Google, turn on the TV, and what's the weather?" Your TV would turn on, and Google will tell you the weather, too.

You can mix and match these commands by asking for traffic, controlling any of your connected gadgets, or telling the device to play music. These commands don't have to be predefined in the Google Home app as a specific routine. You also cannot ask for three things. The device will tell you it can't handle all three and then seems to pick one command at random to execute.

Amazon rolled out a similar feature for Alexa-equipped devices earlier this month called "routines." Users can define a trigger phrase, like, "Alexa, good morning," and the device will carry out a series of commands. These controls are set up ahead of time through the Alexa companion app, though. Google also plans to roll out routines, but these double commands make for a quick, on-the-fly solution.

malliekm

Re: Google Home can now handle two commands at once
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 03:11:20 pm »
Google home routines will be rolling out soon. Some of the phrasing can already be found in Google home app.

smeg

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 09:55:52 am »
This is a big step forward!

But I just can't seem convince myself to buy one.

Jerome

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 10:27:52 am »
Going a little off topic here
I took advantage of Black Friday and had my brother buy me a GH Mini.
He will bring it to me for Christmas from the US (I'm in France).
I just realized you need to have a smartphone sporting iOS or Android to be able to set up a GH  :o
I have a Windows 10 Mobile so I'm out of luck.
Alexa is more flexible with its web app you can open in your browser on any OS  8)
Oh well, I guess I will have to buy a dirty cheap Android-based smartphone or tablet just to be able to jump start that Google device (and a Chromecast too if I understood well).

asianrocker

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 02:12:36 pm »
I just realized you need to have a smartphone sporting iOS or Android to be able to set up a GH  :o
Alexa is more flexible with its web app you can open in your browser on any OS  8)
Oh well, I guess I will have to buy a dirty cheap Android-based smartphone or tablet just to be able to jump start that Google device (and a Chromecast too if I understood well).

Hmm. The one on red is actually news to me so  I googled. Interesting. So are you saying you don't have playstore on windows phone? Pretty sure they have an equivalent Microsoft store I presume? I searched google home on my laptop in the  Microsoft store. No luck.

I would not buy an android phone just for that. I will have 2 ingenious and resourceful ways of working around it but hey you do what you gotta do.

Jerome

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 03:32:10 pm »

Hmm. The one on red is actually news to me so  I googled. Interesting. So are you saying you don't have playstore on windows phone? Pretty sure they have an equivalent Microsoft store I presume? I searched google home on my laptop in the  Microsoft store. No luck.

I would not buy an android phone just for that. I will have 2 ingenious and resourceful ways of working around it but hey you do what you gotta do.
The Windows Store has always been poor and now that Microsoft has officially declared Windows 10 Mobile dead, things are going to go downhill...
Apparently you can also use an iOS or Android-based tablet.
At least the Google Home app also exists for iPad :
https://fnd.io/#/us/ios-universal-app/680819774-google-home-by-google-inc
If you have no iOS or Android-based device at all then you can try borrow one from a friend/relative just to set up GH :-/
In the end, whether you like it or not, if you decide to own a Google Home, you'll also have to get either an iOS and/or an Android-based phone/tablet.

asianrocker

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 04:19:16 pm »
I am actually surprised you don't have a tablet either. But one of my work arounds is put play store in your windows phone. It's doable. I googled.

I put playstore on my cheap tablet coz even if it was android, they are so cheap they don't want to pay to have google anything on the tablet. And so I googled and put google products/apps on my tablet, LOL.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 04:25:33 pm by asianrocker »

Jerome

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 04:46:30 pm »
I am actually surprised you don't have a tablet either. But one of my work arounds is put play store in your windows phone. It's doable. I googled.

I put playstore on my cheap tablet coz even if it was android, they are so cheap they don't want to pay to have google anything on the tablet. And so I googled and put google products/apps on my tablet, LOL.
I do have a tablet but it's a Surface RT 2.
So no luck for a Google Home app there since it's also the Microsoft Store.
AFAIK you cannot install Android apps on Windows Phone : it's either a dead project or a myth.
Please provide a working link if you successfully tested that yourself  :)

asianrocker

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 06:03:47 pm »
Oh you're a Microsoft guy through and through huh? I don't have a windows phone/tablet so I can't say that it works but I googled and I saw multiple instructions and even videos to do so. But if you say they're a myth then I take your word for it. Just giving you idea to save money, dude.

Aside from saving money I also like the feeling of putting added stuff on my tablet myself that was taken off, like google apps. I'm not using that tablet anymore though. Oh it's an android tablet, a cheap one. LOL.

I love Microsoft too but the only device I am gonna buy from them is PC or laptop.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 06:18:12 pm by asianrocker »