Echo & Alexa Forums

New Echo User... having a lot of issues related to device naming/grouping

steviez

Hello,

I recently purchased 2 Echo Dot's and an Echo Plus.  I have been having a lot of issues related to device naming and the Echo acknowledging the grouping I have made.

-I have noticed numerous issues where in the Alexa App, under Settings>Devices I will have different devices listed when compared to the Smart Home>Devices menu in the App.  Why is this?  They seem to often be out of synch.  Sometimes it fixes itself.
-I have a few Sonos speakers setup and have grouped them under Smart Home>Devices.  Yet I am noticing that when I try to ask Alexa to play music in that group, it will not recognize the group?

Alpha Bitch

Re: New Echo User... having a lot of issues related to device naming/grouping
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 02:19:10 pm »
You are still under warranty.  Take full advantage of it.

Look at the top of this forum area & look for the "stickie" Amazon Echo Customer Support & do the necessary.

asianrocker

Re: New Echo User... having a lot of issues related to device naming/grouping
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 03:00:22 pm »
Hello,

I recently purchased 2 Echo Dot's and an Echo Plus.  I have been having a lot of issues related to device naming and the Echo acknowledging the grouping I have made.

-I have noticed numerous issues where in the Alexa App, under Settings>Devices I will have different devices listed when compared to the Smart Home>Devices menu in the App.  Why is this?  They seem to often be out of synch.  Sometimes it fixes itself.
-I have a few Sonos speakers setup and have grouped them under Smart Home>Devices.  Yet I am noticing that when I try to ask Alexa to play music in that group, it will not recognize the group?

I don't have sonos. But when I look  under Settings>Devices. I only see my echo. I think you will only see your echo device there. Not sure about sonos. Are you saying you see your sonos device in there too? AS far as I know only your echo will be under this.

As for Smart Home>Devices well of course it is self explanatory you will see all your smart home products here like in my case - hue and nest. You won't find your echo device in this list.

Since I don't have sonos, I can't say where it is listed.

As for grouping. You guys should know. Speaking from experience, echo finds the group name first and foremost. I find it easier to put just one device in a group and name the group the most simple and short I can.