Echo & Alexa Forums

A very large room.

Spectre_I

A very large room.
« on: November 26, 2017, 09:23:12 pm »
Hello all, new here.  I hope someone here has figured this out already!  (truly, I did search)

Here's my issue:  I have a very large open space style "Great Room"  It includes living room, dining room, open kitchen with 14 ft' peaked ceilings.  I hope this paints the picture.  I have an Echo 2nd generation placed in as close to the best spot I can find in this  room.  It fills the entire space with music sufficiently.  The problem is it's a tad far to hear me sometimes.  For example:  If we are sitting at the kitchen counter, the music is fine, but often I will have to get up and walk closer for the Echo to hear me.  If I move it closer to the counter, it won't hear me to use the Harmony skill I use to watch TV in the other part of the room.

So, my question:  Is there a way to attach a secondary input (only to this Echo)?  It would hear me in the entire space, but only play through the one device.

Thanks in advance!

strayfish

Re: A very large room.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 04:10:01 am »
You could use the Remote (comes separately and you bluetooth pair it to your device), but you'd need to carry that around, or keep it where you'll most need it.

asianrocker

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 04:31:33 am »
Or install a free app to use as remote. OR, use your alexa app to control your echo. Coz you know you can do that, people?  I know you are not using your voice unfortunately, where's the fun in that? LOL.

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 06:55:59 am »
Or install a free app to use as remote. OR, use your alexa app to control your echo. Coz you know you can do that, people?  I know you are not using your voice unfortunately, where's the fun in that? LOL.
Or you could install Alexa listens and speak your commands to the phone.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.willblaschko.android.alexalistens

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 07:19:02 am »
that is why I have the echo play through a bluetooth speaker that is across the room from it.  makes it easier to hear me when the sound is loud. 

Spectre_I

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 12:56:03 pm »
You could use the Remote (comes separately and you bluetooth pair it to your device), but you'd need to carry that around, or keep it where you'll most need it.
This was my first idea.  However I have a question that I can't find the answer to.  If I place the remote in spot, will both the Echo and the remote listen simultaneously, or will I have to strap the thing to me?

Spectre_I

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 12:58:13 pm »
that is why I have the echo play through a bluetooth speaker that is across the room from it.  makes it easier to hear me when the sound is loud.
I have considered this as there are many options out there.  My question is this though:  Will both the Echo and the Bluetooth speaker listen simultaneously?  Defeats the purpose it they both don't.

Thanks all!

strayfish

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 01:01:19 pm »
This was my first idea.  However I have a question that I can't find the answer to.  If I place the remote in spot, will both the Echo and the remote listen simultaneously, or will I have to strap the thing to me?
Only the device you pair it with will answer. I don't know if you can pair it to more than one, I haven't tried. Maybe someone else has :)

Offline kevb

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 01:07:49 pm »

You have to press a button on the remote for it to hear you.

strayfish

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 01:11:39 pm »

You have to press a button on the remote for it to hear you.
Yes, you press and hold while you speak -  I nearly sent mine back as faulty because I was releasing it thinking it was kind of like an On switch! You don't need to use the wake word.

Jeff29

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 12:21:07 am »
I don't think any Amazon device comes with more than one Bluetooth receiver.  I'm confident the Amazon Echo Dot only has one.  This means you can only pair one device at a time.

On the plus-side you might be able to use the wire audio connection option and leave Bluetooth open to pair with a remote.

Spectre_I

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 09:01:37 pm »
It looks like what I want to do doesn't quite exist yet.  I don't know how official these forums are, but developers if you're listening, I can't be the only one. :)

What I would love to do:
Have Alexa hear me clearly in a very large space, as it is just out of range no matter where I put it.  Be able to have multiple always on voice inputs to one output. 

If someone figures out how to do this, please let me know! :)

Revokev

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 07:13:23 pm »
I am new to the whole smart house/ alexa scene, and may be totally wrong, is it not possible to use a dot, whichever device hears you first will answer/control all your devices and use groups to play music on the main echo, you will have to add a group name when requesting music be played?

Spectre_I

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 11:26:36 pm »
I am new to the whole smart house/ alexa scene, and may be totally wrong, is it not possible to use a dot, whichever device hears you first will answer/control all your devices and use groups to play music on the main echo, you will have to add a group name when requesting music be played?
Yes and no.  Yes you can group them for music, but that's it.  I use Echo for more than just music.  What I am really looking for is one output to hear me better.  I guess the best answer is a more sensitive input.  Don't mean to sound bitchy.  I love this stuff!  Looking for a way to make it better.

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 12:08:35 pm »
I'm kinda waiting for the Alexa Lapel Pin that you wear, that is specifically for Alexa. Maybe someone will build one that will work with pretty much all the AI systems and you can choose which one to couple it with somehow. But I am looking for Star Trek Stuff... it's doable... just not yet done.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!