Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo dot control amazon fire tv stick

KingJohn

Echo dot control amazon fire tv stick
« on: December 16, 2017, 02:18:27 pm »
Hi all, good to meet you..

Is it possable? The problem I find is old information on the internet, and some very confusing. For example to link a device is says to go to music, books and video but in the android app only music and books exist. Well I finally found it by using the app online, but no sooner did I get there, I cannot follow the instructions given.

Go to the menu and select Music, Video, & Books.
    Select Fire TV.
    Select Link Your Alexa Device, then follow the on-screen instructions to select which of your devices you'd like to link.
    Select Link Devices to confirm your selection.

However while it says Fire TV and fire tv stick, the echo dot is not listed. Early reading says if you have one fire tv stick it will automatically set up... I have 3 sticks :)

So, I have the philips hue bulbs, and can control them with the echo dot or with any of the fire tv sticks, but I cannot get the echo dot to control any of the fire tv sticks.

Can it be done?

I can use any of the fire tv stick remote controls, press the mic button and speak to alexa, I can give it commands like list movies, and it lists movies o my tc, but I cannot get the echo dot to talk to the fire tv stick

Livingroom fire stick
kitchen fire stick
bedroom fire stick

Those are the names of the fire tv sticks that are plugged into each of those TV's at those locations, alexa is working very good from the echo dot, it controls 2 philip hue bulbs and I can ask them to be dimmed etc. All firesticks are seen on my home network

So what am I doing wrong, do I need to link the firesticks some how? these are the new fire tv sticks with voice control, firmwear updated on all 3, in fact one of the controls is an old one with no voice, but it did update its firmwear...

So good, yet so far away

Can I use the echo dot to control "Livingroom fire stick" and get listings of movies, play a movie etc? as it does using the remote control but not the echo dot

Thanks, any push in the right direction would be great, every google search is listing the steps, but most of the time the step is missing

Online now using app, I select Music, Video and books
It has a drop down list of my devices, default livingroom fire stick
If I select anything in that window, says not supported

Thanks