Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa-enabled groups - trouble with controlling lights

mph070770

Alexa-enabled groups - trouble with controlling lights
« on: November 12, 2017, 06:25:37 am »
Hello all,
Amazon state that creating a group with an included echo device should allow:
"turn on the lights" instead of "turn on the lounge lights" when the echo that hears the voice is the lounge echo.

I've tried to set this up with lightwave RF lights and can't get it to work.

I have 2 groups - a lounge group and a dining room group. Each group has a "ceiling" light. When I try saying:

"turn on the celing light" in the lounge, Alexa responds with "I found several devices with that name. Which one  did you mean"

which seems to me to suggest that the Lounge echo isn't using the group properly.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it related to lightwave RF?

Thanks

asianrocker

Re: Alexa-enabled groups - trouble with controlling lights
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 05:10:56 am »
I don't have several echos so I can't try on mine but when you create a group, can you really choose the echo device there?

My work around is name them differently. Like I name my bedroom lights, room. And I name my living room light, light. LOL. It is very easy to rename the groups.

You can have same name in groups but make sure you have a unique group name. That's what alexa is really looking for the group name, in my experience.

If I were you I would name 1 - ceiling and the other, light.

Alexa is looking for the group name first and foremost. So name your group as short and convenient as you want.

Like my  living room group has only 1 light. But I put it in a group so I can name it simply. I am not gonna say hue light 3 or lamp 3, or living room light, nope. I will say alexa, light, on. BAM!

My echo is kinda deaf though, I tend to scream at it or yell several times before she obeys my commands. Much easier to manually switch lights but where's the fun in that? LOL.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 05:53:54 am by asianrocker »