Echo & Alexa Forums

alternatives to Amazon Music?

seanj

alternatives to Amazon Music?
« on: November 17, 2015, 09:18:24 am »
Paid my $25 last night and installed Amazon Music. Attempted to upload my library and just became increasingly frustrated.  Select folder, nothing, repeat, nothing. Select files and that seems to work.  However, the program begins to bog down, click on a menu and it takes a couple minutes to react.  Eventually the program indicates it's uploading 8000 files (about the size of my library).  About an hour into it, there's a cute little message about something going wrong, restart the program.  Restart but things are still very slow (rock solid internet connection 1Mbps up).  Reboot just to be safe since I did just install the program.  Then I noticed there are duplicates so I did some research and found a thread on the Amazon user's forum that is 15 pages long and began 4 years ago.  It would seem Amazon Music has no efficient way of dealing with duplicates and users have been quite upset about this for 4 years. 

Sorry for the long winded set up but is there an Echo friendly alternative to Amazon Music that would allow me to utilize my music library?  I don't see any option in Amazon Music that allows me to select a local music library and uploading is required.  Though I completely understand the advantages of the cloud based thing, it obviously isn't ready for prime time so until then, why can't I select a local library like most other programs?

Would love Spotify integration but realize that's a ways off if at all.  In the meantime, I greatly appreciate any input as the music function is fairly limited without access to my library.

Thanks,

Seanj
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 12:42:04 pm by seanj »

seanj

Re: alternatives to Amazon Music?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 11:17:17 am »
Stumbled upon this:

http://www.techhive.com/article/2049387/4-ways-amazon-can-fix-its-crummy-cloud-player.html

I realize there are many who like Amazon Music but considering the well documented issues, I really wish there was an alternative so that I could fully enjoy my new Echo.  Right now it's an expensive novelty. 

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 01:06:03 pm »
The best way to get my music playing on the Echo (and other capable wireless devices) is via Bluetooth. It is easy, fast and sounds better than if coming from Amazon cloud.

The easiest way is to play music (or playlists) on my PC from my home server (or other drives) via Bluetooth to the Echo.

I recently got a Bluetooth transmitter so I can even connect it to my iPod Classic and send music to Echo that way.  I recently posted a helpful thread describing the BT gadgets I bought and use, here: 
http://www.echotalk.org/index.php/topic,242.0.html

A while ago, I did take advantage of the free 250 song uploads to Amazon music, and it worked OK, nevertheless, that is a very small percentage of my music collection. 

seanj

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 04:57:14 pm »
Assume voice commands for anything other than Amazon Music are limited to basic functionality (e.g. play, pause, next, etc).   Since I have Sonos, the ultimate would be to get voice commands working for it and based on what I see in the development forum, it looks like people have done it though it's not for the faint of heart.  At this point, it's worth a shot. 

bukzin

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 01:25:47 pm »
I expect someday soon there may be a option for us non-hacker folks
to download an app to intergrate Echo with Sonos.

I would be happy to pay for a simple solution.

oldmangamer

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 08:43:59 pm »
We uploaded over 4500 albums to Amazon Music Library without a problem. Roku playback offers a wildly entertaining selection of album covers from different releases of the same disc, but no problems. Echo plays whatever we want without difficulty. We also subscribe to Spotify which we use our tablet to transmit to Echo with Bluetooth.
Ed. 2/6/16 Spotify now an Echo app...huzzah!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 08:10:29 pm by oldmangamer »

fstbusa

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 08:25:40 am »
I expect someday soon there may be a option for us non-hacker folks
to download an app to intergrate Echo with Sonos.

I would be happy to pay for a simple solution.

You can integrate the echo with sonos but I would not call it "easy"... the Smartthings home automation platform integrates both the echo and sonos and by having a smartthings hub, you would be able to play music over the sonos.... so for $99 and a little reading, you can get what you want in addition to getting into home automation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmxfGwzfDkc