Echo & Alexa Forums

Make your own google home!!

asianrocker

Make your own google home!!
« on: November 10, 2017, 09:35:18 am »
I saw a JBL speaker powered by GA. So pricey. Also this setup is no brainer. That's why I really don't see the need for GH. And why it took me a while to buy echo. This was what I planned to do before I bought echo.

All you need:

Any smartphone with GA installed.
Any speaker BT or via aux/headphone jack input.

It actually is funny. I connected my phone to echo. I said ok google and google voice came out instead of Alexa voice naturally.

Try it and you will know why GH is well, not needed. I said ok google play michael jackson on youtube. I still need to press play though but it did open youtube with micheal jackson video ready to play though. But maybe it's coz I have my battery saver on.

Edit on that. I just tried play stranger things on youtube and it did play it automatically. It heard watch instead of play on michael jackson earlier for some reason. Cooler!

Oh ok no matter if you use play or watch your video will ONLY automatically play if ad is played first. Go figure.

As far as I know, GA on your phone can do anything a GH can do. Like smarthome automation, etc.

If you want to save money. There you go.

So yes I have 2 AI's on my echo, actually I can have ALL AI's on my echo. I just connect echo on my PC and I have cortana. I just connect iphone(yuck) on my echo and I have siri. I just connect samsung phone on my echo and I have bixby you get the drift? Ladies and gents? This is for ANY speakers. ANY AI on phones/PC.

So from now on, if I want to ask ANY question, I make sure to 'switch' to my GA err GH, instead of alexa coz I am soooooooooooooooooooo verrrrrrrrrrry tired of hearing alexa say - sorry, I don't know - even with her Brit accent. Annoys the hell out of me. Ugh.

With my setup, I have the best of both worlds. Arrrrrr. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 12:26:17 pm by asianrocker »

asianrocker

Re: Make your own google home!!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 12:20:52 pm »
Wait.... there's more! Make your own echo show powered by google.

All you need :

Any tablet.

Optional - any speaker.

Sorry having fun with playing with my jurassic gadgets. Ok so my tablet has lollipop. I don't think I have GA installed but ok google works. It does play youtube videos via voice. Sometimes automatically, it is slow though.

I don't think it can do home automation on my lollipop tablet maybe if I installed the latest GA.

I tend to get confused though I said Alexa  followed by ok google and echo said - I don't answer to that- LOL. Shady.

Then I said ok google and said alexa volume 5. My tablet did reduce its volume to 5.

Oh cool now if I want to increase/decrease volume of both my phone/tablet and echo at the same time, I just say ok google  alexa volume N. LOOOOOL.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 12:30:42 pm by asianrocker »

malliekm

Re: Make your own google home!!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 12:42:09 pm »
So you DO need a Google Home after all since you're "soooooooooooooooooooo verrrrrrrrrrry tired of hearing alexa say - sorry, I don't know"  ;) ;D ;)

Well, the best of YOUR world I suppose.  If that's what floats your boat and I know it is :)
My boat floats by opening brand new boxes wrapped in cellophane and new pristine products
working as intended...because that's how my mind works.  Just like your mind works by putting
things together and making them work.  Just like some people prefer CDs.  But for $4 why not just
buy one??