Echo & Alexa Forums

What interesting automation and routines have you got working?

Compact

What interesting automation and routines have you got working?
« on: November 02, 2017, 07:10:27 am »
I'm very much a beginner to home automation and Alexa, so interested to hear what people have got setup.

The most "interesting" I have created is a Good Morning routine that:
  • Turns on Hive lights in the Kitchen and diner to 40%
    Turns on the Kettle, which is setup ready to go, using a smart plug (kettle filled with water and switched on, ready for the plug to supply power)
    Echo tells me the days weather.

I have also setup time based motion sensors, linked to the lights, so when I come down in the middle of the night the light automatically switches on.

Interested to hear other smart home stuff people have setup
(keen to get automatic blinds, but not found a good solution, (price, skills, integration etc))

balabing79

Re: What interesting automation and routines have you got working?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 07:29:00 pm »
I'm very much a beginner to home automation and Alexa, so interested to hear what people have got setup.

The most "interesting" I have created is a Good Morning routine that:
  • Turns on Hive lights in the Kitchen and diner to 40%
    Turns on the Kettle, which is setup ready to go, using a smart plug (kettle filled with water and switched on, ready for the plug to supply power)
    Echo tells me the days weather.

I have also setup time based motion sensors, linked to the lights, so when I come down in the middle of the night the light automatically switches on.

Interested to hear other smart home stuff people have setup
(keen to get automatic blinds, but not found a good solution, (price, skills, integration etc))

I am glad to see someone else had the sense to use smart plug for kettle and not buy hundred quid ikettle lol I have same set up only with routine Alexa make me a cuppa lol

jnex26

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 03:46:25 am »
Sigh Lets see I'm a fan of Star Trek  Nerd so ...

Red Alert - Sets my office lights to red and sounds a Siren on my sonos
Yellow Alert - Set Light to Yellow Sounds Different Siren.
Condition Normal - Sets it back to Normal

Good Morning Runs a scene that turns the light on, Or opens the curtains (depends on sunrise)
Movie Time, turns on the TV opens Plex, Dims the lights (Room does not have connected curtain rail yet)

Compact

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 05:18:56 am »
What device opens your curtains?
I am looking to get automated blinds for the bi-folds when we build the extension, however I haven't seen anything that looks tech enough, at a good price and links to Alexa.

Surprised you haven't setup a door or motion sensor that plays the swoosh sound when the doors open :)

malliekm

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 02:08:28 pm »
I'm probably not qualified to join in on this convo, but...I have a den lamp that comes on at 5:40 and goes off at 6:10 (I don't have to say anything <g>).  Bedside lamp that turns on and off when I tell it to and a decorative table top fan in the dining room that does the same.  I have a spare TP-Link smart outlet that I don't know what to do with.  My home automation needs are humble ;)

jnex26

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 10:48:34 am »
What device opens your curtains?
I am looking to get automated blinds for the bi-folds when we build the extension, however I haven't seen anything that looks tech enough, at a good price and links to Alexa.

Surprised you haven't setup a door or motion sensor that plays the swoosh sound when the doors open :)

I used the Instructions here and got the curtain track from Ebay.
https://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/index.php/2014/10/28/budget-z-wave-curtain-tracks-with-vera-dooya-fibaro-part1/

The Vera Scene decides what happens at what time, there was a fair bit of hacking.

Wife won't let me automate doors, it's come up that I could put a a linear actuator with a manual force release system to facilitate manual push/pull but she won't have it !

I'm currently working on a design for a Zwave controlled roller blind integration.