Echo & Alexa Forums

Where did my groups go?

walkunafraid

Where did my groups go?
« on: November 07, 2017, 01:43:42 pm »
I had set up a few groups (e.g., Living Room, Office, etc...) that had all of the lights/switches for those rooms.  They worked perfectly.  However, there appears to be an active issue between Echo and SmartThings, and as part of my troubleshooting that issue, I "forgot" all my devices and then "re-discovered" them.  Now, when I go into the Groups section, it is blank.  But the commands still work, and I can't edit the groups.  For example, I wanted to add something to my Living Room group, but it doesn't show up in my Groups section, and I can't create a new group with a Living Room name because it says a group already exists.  Any thoughts?

cbabbman

Re: Where did my groups go?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 09:15:59 am »
your groups ended up in the same place mine did...

I did basically the same thing you did and am experiencing the same symptoms.

I got zero help from Amazon support... entry level, tech level and finally supervisor... they all had nothing

My best guess on whats happening is this....

My groups were made over a year ago, before the ability to specify a group as a device or multi-room music group... when I forgot the devices, it cleared my list. Attempting to add my groups back in results in a 'device already exists' error message. Yet the group still works.

As a test, I made a new group that I didn't have before. Master Bedroom... Added it as a device group, added some devices to it and it works. I did another 'forget' and the group list was cleared. I attempted to add Master Bedroom back in and it took it with no problem.

I'd have to think that the system doesn't know how to completely delete the older groups as the device group / multi-room music group flag is missing from them and the system still has them, but can't show them to us.

2 days since this happened to me. Quite honestly, I have a difficult time believing that it's taken them them more than a few hours to correct this. If nothing else, I'd think that support could get into the account and just remove the groups from the system so I can get back to normal, but nope... they couldn't do a thing..

cbabbman

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 08:14:02 am »
another interesting thing I noticed about this...

If I set up a new device group, in the list of devices I can choose to put in this group, I see all of the groups that have previously disappeared listed as devices.

Yet, if you go to the smart home device list, those same group names are not listed...

Amazon has the entire smart home section completely screwed up since their last update.... including the integration with the smartthings skill..

going back to groups, one thing that also used to work that does not work any longer on my system is the ability to set intensity levels and colors on groups of lights..
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:16:15 am by cbabbman »

StevenR

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 10:56:27 am »
I'd check under Devices and Scenes as well as Groups to see if they're under there. You can't create a group with the same name as a device or scene, so that may be why you cant create them.