Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Plus will not discover Philips Hue bulb

DickC

Re: Echo Plus will not discover Philips Hue bulb
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2017, 10:44:01 pm »
Thanks for your comments. Very happy your Echo+ discovered your bulb.  However, I have tried what worked for you, but unfortunately it did not work for my Echo+. Amazon Ctm Support calls me every few days to let me know they are still working to fix the problem.

Zoran

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2017, 10:40:35 am »
+1, i tried all the steps listed and no luck

I have asked Alexa to discover devices.
I have asked Alexa to discover lights.
I have reset the bulb using its serial number.
I have tried to discover using Alexa app on my PC, iPad and iPhone.
I reset Echo Plus, logged out from my app and re-started the setup
Alexa is discovering all my other smart devices without any issues.

I guess, next step is to contact the support

*update: i spoke with technical support, that was challenge as well. After talking to 4 different people i've been told that  this is known issue, and that the technical team is working on it.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 11:25:28 am by Zoran »

Rbwilkinson

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 04:22:35 pm »
We recently purchased an Alexa plus because we want to change our lights to hue smart house. Using the plus you do not need a bridge.

Problem-we set up the plus and the multiple hue light bulbs. We have two users pair to this Alexa plus to control the lights in the app. I see all the lights in the app. My husband only sees a few. He is not fully pairing in the app. I was able to rename and make groups in the app.

When I tell it to discover Alexa says she can’t find. I press in the app. Also says can’t find.

I don’t understand why he can not pair but I can

My husband and I have separate amazon accounts. He set up the Alexa under his account. So one would think he should be able to control it all

I just paired to the device since I have a dot in my master.

We are at a loss

asianrocker

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2017, 06:18:42 pm »
We recently purchased an Alexa plus because we want to change our lights to hue smart house. Using the plus you do not need a bridge.

Problem-we set up the plus and the multiple hue light bulbs. We have two users pair to this Alexa plus to control the lights in the app. I see all the lights in the app. My husband only sees a few. He is not fully pairing in the app. I was able to rename and make groups in the app.

When I tell it to discover Alexa says she can’t find. I press in the app. Also says can’t find.

I don’t understand why he can not pair but I can

My husband and I have separate amazon accounts. He set up the Alexa under his account. So one would think he should be able to control it all

I just paired to the device since I have a dot in my master.

We are at a loss

I don't get your problem, once you setup your echo. Anyone can control the lights via voice, right? Or does your husband just want to control your lights in his app? where's the fun in that? LOL.

My 'solution' is tell him to sign on your account in his app. Is there a reason why you use separate account in the app?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 06:21:04 pm by asianrocker »

Viacarlosa

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 02:00:25 am »
Word of caution.
If you have Bulbs or other smart devices previously working with Echo Plus, you may need to follow factory resets on them to get Alexa to recognize them again once you perform above steps.  I had a Philips Hue bulb and a Samsung Smart Switch previously working in Smart Home section.  I received a second Philips Hue bulb, but could not get Echo Plus to recognize it until I performed the process described above.  Once Echo Plus recognized the new bulb, the 1st bulb and Samsung Smart Switch were no longer connected to Echo Plus in Smart Home menu.  I performed respective factory resets to re-connect them to Echo Plus.
Sorry...this response applies to Reply #14
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 02:10:15 am by Viacarlosa »

asianrocker

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 06:10:11 am »
Word of caution.
If you have Bulbs or other smart devices previously working with Echo Plus, you may need to follow factory resets on them to get Alexa to recognize them again once you perform above steps.  I had a Philips Hue bulb and a Samsung Smart Switch previously working in Smart Home section.  I received a second Philips Hue bulb, but could not get Echo Plus to recognize it until I performed the process described above.  Once Echo Plus recognized the new bulb, the 1st bulb and Samsung Smart Switch were no longer connected to Echo Plus in Smart Home menu.  I performed respective factory resets to re-connect them to Echo Plus.

Hmmm. Do you mean  Samsung Smart HUB? Coz I googled  Samsung Smart Switch and it is an app and has nothing to do with Alexa or automation.

If it indeed is the  Samsung Smart hub, why did you buy echo plus? And most importantly, if I were you I would have used the  Samsung Smart hub instead of the hub in echo plus to connect the new bulb, then you would not even have the problem in the first place, ya know?

Viacarlosa

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2017, 12:15:23 pm »
Word of caution.

Hmmm. Do you mean  Samsung Smart HUB? Coz I googled  Samsung Smart Switch and it is an app and has nothing to do with Alexa or automation.

If it indeed is the  Samsung Smart hub, why did you buy echo plus? And most importantly, if I were you I would have used the  Samsung Smart hub instead of the hub in echo plus to connect the new bulb, then you would not even have the problem in the first place, ya know?

Hi - it is the Outlet that comes with Samsung SmartThings Monitor kit.
I actually bought the Echo Plus first and, later the same week purchased Samsung SmartThings monitor kit.  I am a minimalist and don't want to run multiple hubs.  So, I took the OUTLET that comes with SmatThings and connected with Echo Plus Hub.  I will be testing SmartThings Hub shortly as I have read that it is the best Hub around....not there yet.

asianrocker

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2017, 03:46:57 am »
I would not buy the smart hub anymore if I were you. That's the point of hub inside the echo plus. They maybe fudging now coz it's still new but pretty sure Amazon can  straighten it out sooner or later.

I was forced to buy hue starter kit coz my echo has no hub. I also don't like the idea of buying hubs but well I just console myself that I got a good deal on mine.

Well, it's cool though that you were able to connect a samsung device without their hub. Didn't know you can do that with echo plus.

Sizzl

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2017, 10:15:00 am »
Had exactly the same problems described in this thread; failed to discover lamps, even when entering serial to reset. Lamp would flash once, then three times and the app or Plus would say it couldn't find any new devices.

Performed a hard reset; still same problems pursued.

Saw that the Software Version of the Plus (via alexa.amazon.com) was not the latest (5954...) , so put the device into mute mode for 30-60 minutes which forced an update to the latest Software Version (as of writing, 595530420).

Un-boxed and performed discovery on a further lamp and all of a sudden both lamps appeared in the list.

Continued to set up remaining lamps - most if not all needed to have their serial number entered in the "help" section to reset the devices, but all are now in and zoned.

DickC

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2017, 06:31:52 pm »
Sizzl,
I will check to see if my Echo Plus software is up to date and see if Echo will discover it.  However, after many conversations with Amazon tech support, they sent me the following bulb that worked right away.

Smart WiFi LED Light Bulb,EECOO 7W Wireless Dimmable LED Bulb.

Tech support have not notified me of any updates since receiving this bulb.

PDGINN

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2017, 12:00:15 pm »
I did not see the echo plus with it's hub features until the day my first order for P Hue starter kit with hub shipped. I ordered the E Plus with the included P Hue bulb, and waited until it was all in before installing. After setting up the E Plus (not my first echo device), I did discovery on the bulb shipped with the E Plus and it worked like a charm. Then I plugged in the 4 bulbs from the starter kit. Many attempts later, not one of them was discovered. Best I can tell, they are all exactly the same model bulb. On a lark, I decided to set up the Phillips Hue Hub and install the app. It discovered all four bulbs (telling me that they were all discoverable). After setting up the P Hub on the Echo Plus, the Alexa app put all 5 bulbs in one group, as I wanted, and I can control all five as if they were one hub. There is strong evidence that there is a difference in the bulbs in how they interact with the hubs.

asianrocker

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2017, 10:18:51 pm »
On a lark, I decided to set up the Phillips Hue Hub and install the app. It discovered all four bulbs (telling me that they were all discoverable). There is strong evidence that there is a difference in the bulbs in how they interact with the hubs.

The bulbs that comes with the starter kit are preconfigured with that hue bridge that comes with the package. So it really is very easy install. I did have an extra phillips bulb though that didn't come with the starter pack and hue bridge didn't detect it automatically of course, so  I have to manually add the bulb via serial # and the hue bridge detected it no problem.

I've no experience in serial # input via alexa app with echo plus hub though. I just know you can input serial # manually. I do read it still does not work. Sometimes like BT connection, I think you just have to try several times.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 10:21:13 pm by asianrocker »

asianrocker

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2017, 10:58:08 pm »
  However, after many conversations with Amazon tech support, they sent me the following bulb that worked right away.

Smart WiFi LED Light Bulb,EECOO 7W Wireless Dimmable LED Bulb.

Are you saying they give it to you for free AND keep your hue bulb too? Cool. I googled the bulb it's color bulb the one I am currently looking to get a deal on, lucky you.

Oh, side note, best buy reduced their hue bulb price to $11.99. I wish it's the color bulb next... please....

JohnBaer

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2017, 12:25:39 pm »
The instructions for a reset solved the problem for me.  I’d say you saved Christmas but that’s a little dramatic!!  So....thank you for the post!!!

Marting90418

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2017, 12:43:01 pm »
The instructions for a reset solved the problem for me.  I’d say you saved Christmas but that’s a little dramatic!!  So....thank you for the post!!!
Same here ... had to reset my Echo Plus and the bulb but was finally able to discover and pair. Thanks for the timely post