Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo abilities

Dan

Echo abilities
« on: November 04, 2017, 07:22:23 pm »
I  am really close to purchasing an Echo. still thinking on it, but.... I understand I need to purchase a harmony remote system to have control of my entertainment system with the Echo. That's kind of a downer but can deal with it. Can I access my computer to play my mp3's I have stored.  Can I make playlists for my wife, who hates my grunge, as I can compromise at times and will allow her to play some tear in my beer music occasionally. Am I stuck with commercially available tunes?

Alpha Bitch

Re: Echo abilities
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 02:39:02 pm »
I  am really close to purchasing an Echo. still thinking on it, but.... I understand I need to purchase a harmony remote system to have control of my entertainment system with the Echo. That's kind of a downer but can deal with it. Can I access my computer to play my mp3's I have stored.YUP through bluetooth! 
Can I make playlists for my wife, who hates my grunge, as I can compromise at times and will allow her to play some tear in my beer music occasionally. I can on my Mac by using iTunes (using BT).  Am I stuck with commercially available tunes?NOPE!

drunkpenguin

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 06:15:02 am »
Ditch itunes and move over to Amazon music.  I did. Its a no-brainer  with an Echo.

An echo and harmony work together great, BUT its only really useful for turning the tv on and off.  Volume control is a gimmick and youll use a remote for that. 

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 07:59:08 am »
The Harmony actually uses Routines to start whatever function you'd like when set up properly... such as "turn on TV" or "Turn on Fire TV", "Watch a Movie", "Turn on Playstation" Turning on the proper items and the TV when required and tuning to the proper input for that function... pretty cool and worth the price if you buy a refurb (I' seen them as low as 59 dollars lately).

Echo will work with Harmony hub to adjust Volume, Change channels on the Set top boxes of most services and a regular Antenna input as well. There is a LOT of functionality I don't use on it, but the ability is there. Depending on your needs It may be just the device. May not be. Read a bunch and make that decision based on YOUR findings and needs.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

asianrocker

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 08:53:04 am »
if you want to play your music via voice you gotta pay. You have to have premium account on any of your fave music app. But yes you can do all you want with echo without paying if you just use it as BT speaker and manually control to play any music you want from any device.

If you know programming, the better, you can really do anything you want with alexa.