Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

Alexa grouped with Sonos

Alexa grouped with Sonos
« on: November 07, 2017, 03:47:41 am »
Good morning,

I recently purchased a 2nd Gen Echo because of its integration with Sonos.  Alexa will happily control the Play:1 - great!  I've also grouped the Echo with the Play:1 from the Alexa App, however, I cannot get it to play music on both devices at the same time. Any ideas how to resolve this? Alexa just replies with a message about Music being streamed to another device and would I like to switch it to the other device.  It seems it's an either/or and not both.  Any help greatly appreciated. Thx

Offline AlanH

Re: Alexa grouped with Sonos
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 12:55:43 pm »
Just tried this for the first time and it worked for me.
“Alexa, play BBC Radio 4 in Living Room” (2 x Play 1 and Sub)
“Alexa, play Pink Floyd”. (Played from Spotify on Echo 1st gen).

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 02:17:00 pm »
But have you got it to play the same thing on both the Sonos and the Echo?

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 02:18:34 pm »
Alexa support have come back and said it's not possible to group an Echo with a Sonos.

So I'm thinking of returning it and swapping it for a Sonos One. Twice the money but it will do what i want it to do!

Offline AlanH

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 02:22:24 pm »
No, because you can't 'group' Sonos speakers with an Echo device. I can play from the same source, for example a radio station stream, but the Sonos speakers wont be in sync with the Echo. I currently have BBC Radio 4 playing on both Sonos and Echo, but they're different streams, and around a second out of sync