Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa grouped with Sonos

Kimbo99

Alexa grouped with Sonos
« on: November 07, 2017, 03:47:41 am »
Good morning,

I recently purchased a 2nd Gen Echo because of its integration with Sonos.  Alexa will happily control the Play:1 - great!  I've also grouped the Echo with the Play:1 from the Alexa App, however, I cannot get it to play music on both devices at the same time. Any ideas how to resolve this? Alexa just replies with a message about Music being streamed to another device and would I like to switch it to the other device.  It seems it's an either/or and not both.  Any help greatly appreciated. Thx

AlanH

Re: Alexa grouped with Sonos
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 12:55:43 pm »
Just tried this for the first time and it worked for me.
“Alexa, play BBC Radio 4 in Living Room” (2 x Play 1 and Sub)
“Alexa, play Pink Floyd”. (Played from Spotify on Echo 1st gen).

Kimbo99

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 02:17:00 pm »
But have you got it to play the same thing on both the Sonos and the Echo?

Kimbo99

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 02:18:34 pm »
Alexa support have come back and said it's not possible to group an Echo with a Sonos.

So I'm thinking of returning it and swapping it for a Sonos One. Twice the money but it will do what i want it to do!

AlanH

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 02:22:24 pm »
No, because you can't 'group' Sonos speakers with an Echo device. I can play from the same source, for example a radio station stream, but the Sonos speakers wont be in sync with the Echo. I currently have BBC Radio 4 playing on both Sonos and Echo, but they're different streams, and around a second out of sync